Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day 27 12 2010 (n°2)    

Word of the day 27 12 2010 (n°2)

Mariethe House
France

Word of the day 27 12 2010 (n°2)

Here are the entries we have had so far!

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25331

You are amazing! Such imagination and wit and creativity after the big Christmas festivities! You are admirable!

However, the game is not finished!

Hi there! have a go at a defintion of WOD: erinaceous!!

27 Dec 2010      

crisholm
Spain

Well, you could get a �Bless you! � answer after saying that word...

27 Dec 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hang on a sec, wasn �t it erinaceous???????

27 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Oh my God Anita!! I can �t do this word of the day business without making a mistake!! Thank you for giving the right spelling!!Smile

27 Dec 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear Mariethe, after all the holiday feasting and stuff, what �s a letter or two between friendsWink?

27 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Doesn �t erinaceous mean to make a mistake???  MacGyver was erinaceos in his assumption that he should cut the blue wire and not the red. Kabooom!!!

27 Dec 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Erinaceous

The adjective suffix �-aceous� means �resembling, or having the nature of� the particular item described.

So, �rosaceous� means �resembling a girl called Rose�; �herbaceous� means �resembling a man called Herbert�; �crustaceous� means �resembling a crust of bread; and so on.  It�s quite easy, really.

Therefore, the word Erin-aceous refers to someone or something that looks like, or aspires to be like Erin, The Emerald Isle, Ireland, Eire, Irish!

The original inhabitants of Ireland were about half-a-metre tall, and were dressed all in green.  They were called �The Little People�, to distinguish them from people who were two metres tall, and who were called, �The Big People�.

So, if you are at a Fancy Dress Party, and there is a character there, perhaps a doctor, dressed all in green and he looks like a fugitive from the National Elf Service, you can be sure that he is attempting to be Erinaceous.

It is generally acknowledged that, had it not been for the Irish �navvies�, (�navigators�), none of the roads, canals, sewers and heavy engineering work in the UK would have been completed.  We owe Ireland a huge debt.

Just for the record, (or for the CD), I am English, but I have a brother who is Irish!

My brother�s family love to hear Irish jokes.

There was a Conference regarding �The Population Explosion�.  The Speaker made a startling statement.

�Do you realise that, on this Earth, every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every month, of every year, a woman is giving birth to a child.  I ask you a question.  What are we going to do about it?�

A voice from the audience shouted: �We�re going to find that woman and stop her�!

Les

28 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Monday �s game finished! Have a look at the new word suggested by Chris in my post: Word of the day winner!

28 Dec 2010