Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for Tuesday 28th December    

WOD for Tuesday 28th December

crisholm
Spain

WOD for Tuesday 28th December

Thank you! There �s nothing like getting up on a lazy holiday morning and discovering that you are the lucky winner of the WOD!
I �m not sure I deserve it - I had great fun with the other entries.
Here in Spain today, the 28th of December, is �Dia de los Santos Inocentes �, on which people play tricks and practical jokes just like on April Fool �s Day.
And here goes the next word for the great WOD competition...

hummums

just keep musing at its definition....HugHugHug

(sorry I �ve had to repeat the post to start a new thread, you get extra hugs to compensate! HugHugHug

28 Dec 2010      

Mariethe House
France

jecika
Serbia   

this one �s easy Approve

it is a bunch of mums doing the humming  yoga breathing exercise

28 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

hummus= a very popular dish in the middle east, a kind of paste made from cooked, spiced and mushed chickpeas, very healthy, filled with  protein and extremely �filling �, usually eaten with pita bread. Some people actually make this themselves by soaking and boiling  chickpeas for ever and mushing them by hand, but most people simply buy one of the many varieties available, ready made, in  supermarkets. It is gaining popularity outside the middle east lately, especially in the yoga breathing, natural fiber wearing circles..
hummums=  a relativly new word, in the category of �yuppies �, �dinkies � etc. It combines �hummus � and �mums �. It is meant to indicate those busy, modern, (health freak) mums who look down upon microwave dinners, frozen pizza, instant noodles and the like but still are too busy to make a real meal for their kids. Hummus will be their meal of choice since, as explained before, it is wholesome and healthy. It has an air of authenticity (even if you didn �t boil the chickpeas yourself), simply because it looks kind of terrible.

ps. so I do not step on anyone�s feelings.. I loooove Hummus!

28 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

hummums..is a very popular middle eastern dish made with spices and cooked and mashed chrystmum, er no ah christmasmums, chrysanmums...mums and eaten with peta..em pizza.. peda emm, flat bread.

28 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

HUMMUMS

are humanoid mummies, very cute and humorous.

28 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

edromedina, careful with the whisky!

28 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

MarionG has the right idea: it �s a development of the British media concept �yummy mummy � and her �Chelsea Tractor � but applies in particular to the American expat version who is so terrified of driving in London traffic that she only feels safe in a �Humvee �. 

It takes no great linguistic leap from yummymummies to hummymummies to hummums: overindulged, paranoid American ladies from Notting Hill with big scary cars.

28 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

hmmm....
I look forward to inviting edromedina to some Rioja wine... just to loosen his tongue, pronunciation-wise!
Jecicka �s breathing exercises left me breathless!
Almaz �s paranoid ladies were a great image  but I haven �t seen many of them in Notting Hill snowy streets these days...
Strangely enough, no one mentioned humming birds...
The WINNER IS CHUD, with her alliterative answer!Clap
(I guess this session �s been a bit of a flop; sorry I �m very busy filling complaints to Heathrow and British Airways!)
By the way:
hummums are �sweating places, or baths �
Harry Middleton Hyatt �s Folkore from Adams County, Illioois (1935) recorded this bit of hygiene advice: "Bathe between Christmas and New Year �s Day and you will remain clean the whole year."
So you see, you �ve still got your chance.For all of you who participated, YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

29 Dec 2010     

imanito
Morocco

Thanks crisholm for the sweet extra hugs Hug
edrodmedina .......a standing ovation Clap

Hummums is what Gargantua used to say when he got hungry, "hum hum" and with time and the extreme gain in size , it became "hummums" meaning "foods" 

29 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Hmmm imanito I had not seen your post.... I like the Gargantua bit and the pronunciation difficulties because of size....
Do you think Pavarotti meant the same?

29 Dec 2010     

imanito
Morocco

ohhhhhh it �s over......I was soooooo late Unhappy that �s ok 
well for Pavarotti that �s another story.....he wsn �t hungry; he just had a sore throat so he had some problems uttering words so he kept saying "humum horma" instead of "Nessun Dorma"
Tongue 

29 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >