Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hi, I need help!    

Hi, I need help!

millmo
France

Hi, I need help!

I have two 12 year old boys to whom I teach English. I have been teaching them for 3 years now. My problem is two fold. Their parents now want more grammar included in the lessons ( before it was general vocab and games etc), but the boys wantr to have fun and find written work and grammar extremely boring. I feel I need to spice things up a bit for them...anyone any experience like this that can give me some suggestions?

I have tried watching films and answering questions, I have tried battleship type games.........One of the boys is really restless and gets bored within 3 seconds!!!!!

28 Dec 2010      

Attoff
Egypt

Hi dear ,  
                I think it �s easy .  you can teach them grammar through games. You can find tons of these games everywhere. Like this , you can hit two birds with one stone .

28 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

If they get bored, you can use ppt games (you �ll find tons of here), boardgames, songs. There are some oral tasks that you can use as a competition and children love competition.

Teach comparatives and superlatives during a game, students have to guess who you are talking about: "who �s the tallest student?" - also useful for who questions.

There are tons of ideas on ESL printables, and you can adapt even card games to teach grammar. Once a student told his parents that they didn �t study in my class, they only sang, played games, etc... So I prepare every semester some of "the good ws" with the "good old" grammar exercises for them to show their parents, but even with this kind of wss fun is not excluded.

Hope it helps

Zailda

28 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

You could try �grammar � board games, or just use a board with which you can use a variety of cards.  There are lots on this site!

28 Dec 2010     

class centre
Belarus

have you used giving prizes for good results?
If you say that for  say 50 points gained in a grammar game they can get a prize, it can help them concentrate on reaching their goal and make an effort.

Recently I have tried one thing for my sts. After a certain grammar point had been studied and analized and revised I asked my sts to compose a control work for their friend. So, they were secretly writing the tasks ( with keys!), for their friends and I was  checking the papers together with the "authour", correcting their own mistakes or using the moment to explain something again and again. Everything was being done secretly and in a low voice. Then I promised to print their works out and bring to the class. So they would give the test to anyone they would like. The sts were very motivated. Now, I have to print it out during my vacations. They are looking forward to seeing their work printed and giving it to a friend. Try you something of the kind.
Good luck!

28 Dec 2010     

millmo
France

Thanks everyone

30 Dec 2010