Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Titles and descriptions    

Titles and descriptions

Minka
Slovenia

Titles and descriptions

Does it bother you, too when the description of a worksheet is no more than "Very nice. My students liked it. I hope you find it useful." Or "very useful as a final test" or "Test for sixth-graders" (where? after how many years of learning English?)?

Do you like it when the title says "Vocab test" or "Revision" and then nothing more in the description? Are you in doubt when the title or the description (or both) are grammatically very incorrect, do you find it annoying - or is it only me? 

30 Dec 2010      

libertybelle
United States

No Minka - it �s not only you.
The description is really important and so are the explanations on how to use the different worksheets.
I totally agree with  you.
wish people would use more time on that.
L

30 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Titles and descriptions are a good way of catching the person �s eyes - more than the appealing colors & pictures IMHO.

If a ws calls my attention because the topic dealt with, but has no description (or a poor one) I �ll have to spend more time checking it - and I usually don �t have it, so I �ll look for something clearer and objective. I prefer to know in advance what I �m going to "buy".

You see, it �s much easier to read the description than the moving ws through the window...

If it doesn �t bother the member to know that his (maybe) useful ws will get less downloads than it could have just because people are too busy to become dizzy trying to find out what it is about in the window, it won �t bother me either, because the river is plenty of fish.

Happy New Year!

30 Dec 2010     

SueThom
United States

I agree, also.

Well, I don �t know that it irritates me so much as I tend to skip over those WSs.  Descriptions like that tell me less than nothing.  Actually, I realize I make a snap judgment (right or wrong--I just recognize that I do it) that the author doesn �t have very high professional standards which means the odds are higher than average that the WS won �t be very useful.

As Zalida pointed out, there are plenty of other fish in the river, so I just move on to a WS which gives some meaningful information about its contents.

30 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

You �re right, sue! That was what I meant, but I was in a hurry (always) to go to the bank and when I saw the thread I couldn �t help answering it before turning off the computer. I think I was thinking in Portuguese. LOL!

The worst is that I invert the order of the words or change their beginning even in Portuguese! Do you think it might be because I �m usually thinking of 2 or more things at the same time? I say things like "the kitchen is in the chicken" - in my mother tongue, of course.

It must be because of almost 6 decades of age.

BTW, another reason for me not downloading such wss: I find it suspicious that the "owner", the "author" knows so little about "his own" worksheet. In 90% of the times I take the time to check they happen to be mere copies of someone else �s work.

Who would have more info about a ws than the person who started it from scratch? Or maybe he didn �t...

30 Dec 2010