Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What are most common New Year Traditions in your country?    

What are most common New Year Traditions in your country?

Stellam
Argentina

Hi Ed

Perhaps it �s hard to believe, but wearing pink underwear for good luck is a long-standing tradition among argentinian women.

31 Dec 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

Just the thought of those little pink Knickers wearing on olive skin makes my leg turn!

But white Knickers are best for olive skins! keep up the traditions for the sake of mankind!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

31 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

booohoooo, I �m jealous! I grew up in Holland and the night between 31-12 and 1-1 used to be the wildest one of the year. We would all spend the evening with our parents until midnight, eating �oliebollen � (deep fried dough dumplings) and watching comedians on TV. At 12 we �d go out , watch the fireworks, wish everyone in the street a happy new year and head for the bar where we would party the entire first day of the year. The only customs I remember is getting totally wasted and getting sore feet from dancing....
Now I live in Jerusalem where not much happens...it isn �t really celebrated here. You might not even notice it was new year. Very few people organize a party. Today is a working day. This year it falls on a Friday to Saturday night which is the Shabbat - the day of rest- so in Jerusalem most bars and restaurant are closed  (some are open, despite pressure from religious groups). There aren �t even any official fireworks since according to the religious people here one may not light a fire on the shabbat..... what a total bummer! It is this day i miss Holland most. Not that I would go out and party for 26 hours straight (I out grew that a while ago) but at least the atmosphere of well wishing, good resolutions and renewal would be nice...
Sorry for sharing my self pity....homesick for a moment after 16 years of living here...

31 Dec 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

Embarrassed
@ Redbull: Behave yourself!

31 Dec 2010     

swissprof
Switzerland

In India a group of women decided to fight with pink knickers !!!!

Happy New Year Redbull !

31 Dec 2010     

inmaaa86
Spain

Some people, like me, also like making toast with cava (Spanish champagne) with the gold rings inside the cup, this brings luck and money. It �s also advisable to wear gold jewellery.
One year I wrote two wishes in a paper, I folded them and placed them under my shoes, then , after eating the grapes I burnt the papers (completely) and my wishes fulfilled. This is true, I got married to person I wished. I think this year I am going to do the same.Happy New Year to everybody, and thanks a million for sharing your wonderful work.

31 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

inmaa, do you want to get married again?
Just joking - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

31 Dec 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thanks everybody!! For sharing such wonderful memories!

HAPPY NEW YEARRRRRRRR!

31 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2