Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Corrections: I īm sooooooooooo fed up ...     

Corrections: I īm sooooooooooo fed up ...

douglas
United States

When I used to teach writing, I found I would contimuously write the same comments over and over.  For example :

1. Your introduction must grab the reader īs attention, motivate them to read further, introduce your topic, and provide an overview of the paper.

2. The introduction is missing an overview of the paper.  The overview must name each of your main points so the reader knows what to expect--should provide a "roadmap" for the reader.

3. The attention step of your introduction is not related to your topic.

4. etc.

5. etc.

With this list I could simple write "see 1 & 2" or "see 1 & 3" on the student īs paper.

Douglas

7 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello again, everyone. I īve read all the posts in this thread, but there are very good ideas to optimize, shorten the time spend writing comments: post-it notes, or a numbered list where the ss must refer to, to know what the mistake was. All that is nice. BUT..... does it also take away the frustration a teacher feels to see that yet again and again ss make the saaaaame mistakes over and over? I mean, personaly (and this is just me, ok, guys?) I would GLADLY give up my personal time, (I do anyway LOL) time in the afternoons, weekends, holidays.... and grade papers, put a post-it, a number from my list of corrections OR write a note, IF, IF, IF, IF the ss would at least bother to take a look and reflect on the mistake AND DON īT REPEAT IT AGAIN!!!.... but that only happens in my dreams! I have also done peer correction in class, or had them personally correct each mistake, but it īs totally useless! That is the frustration that sometimes eats me! It īs like they just DON īT CARE to learn, they are just in the classroom, taking the course because THEY HAVE TO....not because they have a real interest in learning, AND to top it off, with the principal we have at our school, that doesn īt help matters.
I īm going to share an experience I had (problem) with my ss and the principal. And now on Monday when we return, I KNOW I īm going to have problems with the parents, but, hey: I DON īT CARE.... I īll just tough it out, but I made a decision before the holidays, and I īm going to stand up to it:
One day my kids were really rowdy, on days that we were having very important presentations, it was part of their grade, instead of a written test, they had to present a topic, as if they were the teachers, they were to use visual aids, posters, anything to support their presentation. and they were taking it as a joke, we had limited time because it īs a large class so my rules were: as SOON as the bell rings, everyone quiet and in their seats ready to start. so they just went on and on and on, talking and playing around. I did not say a word, just waited. when they finally realized I would not begin until they were quiet, I said, since you guys took up MY class time with your nonsense, I will take YOUR recess time tomorrow, so I want you ALL here at recess tomorrow, no excuses, no comments! and then I continued my class.
Obviously they went crying to the principal, that it wasn īt "fair", it was their time to eat, blablabla... so, the principal went to talk to me, and I said, I īm sorry, but in MY classroom I make the rules, and if they didn īt follow them, I īm sorry, but they have to do as I say. She asked me to give them 10 min to eat, and then go on with the punishment, and I said fine. But half the class showed up after 25 min. I did not let them in the classroom. They went crying again. But I told the principal, it īs their responsibility now to accept the consequences of THEIR actions. I was giving in my grades right before the holidays, and since I was so angry and disappointed, I took away points for discipline, and the grades of these ss were affected seriously. But, I think they have to learn to respect me, and respect the rules.
Do you think I did wrong? Did I exagerate because of the moment?

7 Jan 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

I think you are simply confronting your students with the consequences of their behaviour.
Best thing you can do for them, since that will happen all their lives and the sooner they learn to calculate which behaviour is followed by which consequences or to calculate the risk they are prepared to take, the better.
What makes me sad is the lack of support from your principal.
A principal should back up his or her teachers...

7 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3