Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A piece of advice needed    

A piece of advice needed

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A piece of advice needed

I was thinking of creating a summer activity book and maybe publishing it, so those of you who have done this before (I mean publishing) do you always create your own clipart or there can be a way of getting it on the net? Is it allowed to publish free, public domain clipart in a book?
Thanks in advance,
Sophia

7 Jan 2011      

_babz
Canada

you �ll need to create your own art  (yourself or hire a graphic artist) OR buy some that you can use...

goodluck...

ps: I sincerely hope that you won �t be using any of our worksheets in this summer activity book of yours..?? Confused

8 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

Hi

Great stuff! Good luck with it.
Yes, public domain clipart can be used for commercial projects, too, so it is okay.
As Babz says, if you can �t find what you need there you �ll have to buy some which is ok for commercial use - you can find out by reading the terms of use.
Hope this helps and have a nice day.
Julia

8 Jan 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Don �t worry, babz,
I won �t use wss from here.
I was just considering the idea of making some project and if I could publish it. But if it turns out too time consuming and too hard for me as to finding/creating the clipart, then I guess I �ll have to drop the idea of publishing and will just create smth for my ss.
Sophia 

8 Jan 2011     

Errie
Japan

Dear Sophia,

To make something good will always take time. You have a deadline?. If not then you should go for it and publish it. Nothing is impossible you know. Creating your own cliparts is I think time consuming but in the end you can say....I did it all by myself. It can open some other doors as well if you know what I mean.

Good luck anyway!

errie

8 Jan 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

Dear Sophie,

Clipart.com http://www.clipart.com/en/ and iclipart http://www.iclipart.com/ allow you to use their images into commercial products such as workbooks as long as not more than 100,000 copies are produced. You can also use Art Explosion clipart and others. Personally I would never use so-called Public Domain clipart as much of it is not actually public domain but only claimed to be so. I have published three workbooks using clipart from the above sources and have had no problems regarding copyright.

A reminder that clip art from online collections usually cannot be uploaded in worksheets to ESL Printables though clipart from Art Explosion can be uploaded here as long as it is within a worksheet.

I hope that this answers your question.

8 Jan 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Sophia

I �ve got an experience, not a successful one. I created  textbook "English Onstage" for my art sts,
and the publishing house ( our Academy has got its own one) was ready to publish it. The only obstacle was the graphics. They couldn �t publish it with the clipart borrowed from the Internet. I didn �t have time to solve the problem , I mean, to create my own pics or hire smb  since the summer vocations finished and I became fully involved in the educational proccess.    Unfortunatelly, I haven �t found any time to complete the project, but in any way I  am using  my book happily in my classes for a couple of years. So, my advice is before you start doing this work, think over the cliparts. I agree with Errie, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.

8 Jan 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, Julia, Errie, David and Olga,
It really helpsThumbs Up
All the best to you,
Sophia

8 Jan 2011