Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD)    

Word of the Day (WOD)

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD)

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I just got word that I was selected to choose the new Word of the Day, so here it is:

impignorate

Please don �t give any dictionary/internet definitions, we want your own creative (maybe goofy) ideas about what it could be. 

Have fun,
Douglas

11 Jan 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

to poke small food bits of meat, mushrooms and vegetables on a wooden stick (and barbecue it)

11 Jan 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Hmmm
impregnate means to make someone pregnant so does impignorate means to make someone into a pig.
Example: Jason �s mother cooks such delicious fattening cakes that we are all afraid that he will be impignorated soon and begin to go oink oink.
Just a thought, Joy

11 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

Actually impignorate is a proper noun - the Impignorate - which is used to refer to that ignorant old bugger who ate the last remaining imp on Earth, just as the Elfignorate is that ignorant old bugger who ate the last remaining elf on Earth, and so on...

...All the magic is gone nowCry

11 Jan 2011     

chud
Israel

Impignorate is similar to illiterate:

stands for a person who is impossibly ignorant.

11 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

When I was a member of Future Farmers of America back in Brooklyn, New York, we learned what IMPIGNORATE means. We visited many farms in the area and saw firsthand how the farmers would use an electric prod to get the boar to "donate" his sperm which then would be used to get sow pregnant. This process is called Impignoration. So impignorate means to get a pig pregnant, preferably a female pig. 

11 Jan 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Imp= implicit
ignorate= to ignore
Let�s impignorate that Censored. He�s such an Censored!

11 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Oh no, a word from the past...

from my student years to be exactly....

The male students would have this slogan �to impignorate but not to impregnate �. I doubt they are still proud of that today but, who knows, maybe they still brag about it.

The word comes from the - originally French - word:  
� peignoir �  ( a kind of sheer, fancy nightrobe - you can image google if you like)

so the idea was as follows, they would try and sweet talk a girl untill "she would slip into something more comfortable" (preferably a sexy peignoir) and was willing to have some �fun � but they would -thank god- be careful not  to get her pregnant.......

I would hear things like" Ha, I managed to impignorate three different girls this weekend"
which would usually be answered by a ringing High-Five and their battle cry "to impignorate but not to impregnate!"

there you go, an attempt to NOT use the word pig.... :) (even though they were pigs.. ;)

11 Jan 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

edro: LOL

11 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

And the winner is::

This was a tough choice, I really liked all the answers, in the end "oink, oink" cracked me up.

Congrats Joy, you �re the winer of the word of the day.

12 Jan 2011