Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Why do you teach?    

Why do you teach?

blunderbuster
Germany

Why do you teach?

Hi there,

Very few societies still give teachers the respect they deserve. Most students want their education at a bargain price, more and more parents expect teachers to raise their children.

Why do you put up with this? Why do you teach, or better still, why do you STILL teach? What is it that makes you go back every day, what it it that pays you back and keeps you going?

Curious regards

15 Jan 2011      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I teach for that little feeling you get when a pupil comes to you and says he was able to improve thanks to you, or when, at the end of the year you realize that the pupil who could �nt produce (write or speak) a sentence in September is able to make sentences, understand what is said and wants to keep on improving!!!

15 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

I teach because it �s fun--I really have fun in the classroom.

15 Jan 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

For the look that says "I understand", 
although with some of my classes it is purely to keep a few more hoodlums off the street

15 Jan 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

I teach because I love it when my students come up to me and say..."Thanks miss...you are the best"....

15 Jan 2011     

carinita
Argentina

Some reasons have been mentioned before:
-Fun
-To keep myself young LOL I think it �s great keeping in contact with young people They teach me a lot
- I �ve become more responsible thanks to teaching
- Schedule flexiblility I wouldn �t stand a 9 to 5 job
- Teachers are quite autonomous in all they do
Have a great weekend Thumbs Up

15 Jan 2011     

mariamit
Greece

Oh, Regina what a question! I teach simply because I love it! I love seeing the look of understanding when a student has finally grasped something he was having problems with. I love hearing the words "Thank you Miss. I get it You �re terrific" . I love having students cross the stree just to say hi 15 years after they �ve left my class.  Il ove being able to say that I �ve actually had a hand- no matter how small, in helping a youngster form his character but mostly I teach because I love kids!!

Hope your Sunday �s greatHug

15 Jan 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

It makes me feel complete... as if I �m in right where I �m supposed to be...

15 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

I think most of us go on ticking in the teaching business, because of the reasons already expressed above, and I might add that teaching, at least for me, is the job that gives me more satisfaction of doing something worthwhile, that I am useful, than any other job.
Don �t know if some of you remember what I have mentioned in the past, but I have been teaching all my life, and at one point I did stop and said, hey, I �ve just about had it! I �m tired of putting up with ungrateful parents, who blame YOU for their child �s bad performance, of school directors who do not support their teachers, bad salary, of ... well, you all know what we go through. So I gave it a shot at doing something else. I went into the sales business, obviously because it had to do with schools, English, and so forth, or else I wouldn �t have dared. I started working at a Publishing company that represented many education software companies from around the world: Canada, USA, Australia, just to name a few. I started off as sales rep, visiting schools, selling them our software products to learn English. I did good, soon becoming Product Manager, then Academic Development Manager, I did great, had a great salary. Travelled all over. But, when I was giving conferences, doing workshops, training the teachers that had bought our products, I WANTED TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!! I missed working with the children, teens... etc.
When I saw a teacher wasn �t really applying the right strategies, methods, etc, I had to bite my tongue so I wouldn �t say something that was not called for, after all, my job was only to offer our services not to tell them how to teach.
So, after some thought... I left my job at the publisher, and came back to teach. Here I am, back to all those problems I complained about, and still do complain, I must confess, but the satisfaction of doing something useful for our children, helping to form them, to make a little tiny difference, is so rewarding, that I hope I can still have the chance to teach for many years.

15 Jan 2011     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

I always answer " I teach because I like to learn "We always learn with the students 
we learn to be humble ( accept all the differences )
we learn to continue young  
I fell younger when I am teaching 
I have been working for 13 hours every day and I feel very happy.

15 Jan 2011     

Bare
Croatia

- I �m never bored and it �s so complex and creative
- I work with young people- they �re just great-make me feel young
- it �s great  being a part of somebody �s learning process and growing up

When my kids leave our school ( we spend 5 years together) I feel they �re taking a part of me with them in their life and it means a lot to me and to them. I love to meet them later - they �re always my kids in a way Smile For better or for worse

Hugs,

Goga

PS Reading my post today it sounds a bit idealistic to me, but it�s true. I must just add that I work in a small school (200 -250 pupils) in a suburb where I live so we know each other from everyday life. It was a bit difficult in the beginning (even during our summer holidays I had school kids jumping around me on the beach , I had my neighbours - and even my daughter- in the classroom) but  I think I managed it just fine using fair-friendly-strict attitude.Wink

15 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >