Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is it correct?    

Is it correct?

mariannina
Italy

Is it correct?

Hello all, is it good English to say "Some people are "warmonger", to mean that they like to fight, qarrel?
Thank you and hugs Hug
Mariannina

17 Jan 2011      

coyote.chus
Spain

I think it can only refer to real war, somebody who likes to or is eager to encourage a people or nation to go to war . But I �m not sure. Let �s wait for an English native person �s opinion.

17 Jan 2011     

silvanadelval
Argentina

Hi Mariannina!

Personally, I �d say they are "quarrelsome" or that they enjoy "picking a fight".

Regards from Argentina!

Silvana

17 Jan 2011     

Zora
Canada

I �d only use "warmonger" for a person, leader or nation that encourages war(s) for personal gain, profit or enjoyment.

17 Jan 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

"warmongers", Mariannina, plural in your case. If I talked about mafiosi, I might use the term "warmonger".

George W. Bush was accused of being a fearmonger.

17 Jan 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks to all.
So, if I mean a "normal" person who loves quarreling I should use quarrelsome.
"He is quarrelsome" or "He is a quarrelsome person".
Is it right?

17 Jan 2011     

dennismychina
China

Coyote, Zora and Blunderbuster are correct except in Blunderbuster�s case it would refer to a person within the organisation. The war is not necessarily two countries fighting it could also be for and area, such as gangs �turf� wars.

So yes, quarrelsome or one of its manny synnonyms would be correct.

Enjoy.

17 Jan 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I agree with the pps that the term "warmonger" is generally used for nations or rulers (kings, presidents, dictators etc)

Now "quarrelsome" is used to describe somebody who argues a lot but it �s not a word I �d use in general conversation, don �t know why, perhaps because it sounds a bit Dickensian, or it �s too gentle. I �d say "so-and-so is very argumentative or so-and-so loves to pick a fight, or is very confrontational." There are actually a ton of options. Context is everything.

Hope this helps.

17 Jan 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks again
Hug

17 Jan 2011