Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > stop-stopping, run-running, but fix-fixing    

stop-stopping, run-running, but fix-fixing

MarionG
Netherlands

stop-stopping, run-running, but fix-fixing

One of my students asked me today why we don �t write fixxing....She obviously was listening when I explained we double the consonant in verbs ending with cvc (when emphasized).
I told her that I �m not sure but I think it is because the letter X, even though it is a consonant, sounds like two consonants, making the end sound like cvcc....and doubling it would make it sound like cvcccc  -  aaaargh
But -as I also told her- I don �t really know the rule...Can anyone help me out here?

edit: If I�m already asking...what�s the rule about verbs ending in W  (sewing, rowing, throwing...)

17 Jan 2011      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Marion,

you might want to check these out;

I hope these help.

17 Jan 2011     

lynn_28
Costa Rica

Words ending with a Consonant-Vowel-Consonant Pattern (Review Consonants and Vowels) One-syllable words: 

ED = If the word ends in a CVC pattern, it gets a double consonant + ED. * note 
I
NG = If the word ends in a CVC pattern, it gets a double consonant + ING. * note

Examples: ED = RUB > rubbed, STOP > stopped ING = HOP > hopping, SIT > sitting 

*note: Words ending in w,x,y,z do not follow this rule, simply add ED, or ING 
Examples: snow > snowed, box > boxing, play > playing 

source : http://a4esl.org/q/h/9807/km-doubles.html

17 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thanks Frank and Lynn...

This is the kind of things I get stuck on. I studied Law, not English....

I �just know � how to spell them but I can �t always explain why....

17 Jan 2011     

lynn_28
Costa Rica

welcome, glad it helped 

17 Jan 2011     

sharon f
Israel

I simply add that we don �t double letters of verbs ending in one of the last 5 letters of the ABC (V,W,X,Y,Z) 

17 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Sharon f, that would be the last 4 letters. I can think of only one verb that ends in "v", and that �s "rev" (to accelerate sharply the speed of an engine), and the "v" is doubled.

revved, revving

Bruce

17 Jan 2011     

denuso
Brazil

According to the grammar the verb Fix  is an unstressed monosyllable.

17 Jan 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

The /x/ sound is a double consonant (/k/ + /s/) so it shouldn �t be doubled.
As to "rowing", the ow makes a vowel sound (/oa/) so there is no consonant to double.

18 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

and that, David, brings me back to my logic... I like it when there is logic to a rule....
BTW I can �t think of a cvc verb which ends in a single Z, anyone?
Nice call Bruce, with the �Rev �.........

18 Jan 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

Words ending in a single "Z": adz, biz, coz, fez, fiz, lez, wiz, zuz and zzz (that was me; I fell asleep.).

18 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >