Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > how many English classes per week?    

how many English classes per week?

mari3lla
Italy

how many English classes per week?

Hi everybody! I �m a teacher of Esl in the Italian "scuola media" (students aged 11-13). I �d like to know how many English classes per week do you have in other countries all around the world. Here in Italy we just have three periods per week (33 weeks in a school year) and I think thery are really few. What do you think? Thanks a lot, Mariella

17 Jan 2011      

memthefirst
Turkey

In Turkey we have 3+1 periods for 10-11 year old children and 4+1 periods for 12-14 year old children.We have two terms and around 32-33 weeks in a school year.
In our country a teacher is supposed to have 15 periods per week to deserve a salary.If he or she has more , he or she gets extra money for each period.
A period is 40 minutes.

17 Jan 2011     

catiahenriques
Portugal

Hi. It depends of the school. Last year I had two times a week and it was a class of 90 minutes and other of 45 minutes. This year I have two times a week with 90 minutes.
There are schools where it can be three times: 90 minutes+45 minutes+45 minutes.
Hugs
Catia

17 Jan 2011     

lynn_28
Costa Rica

HI Mariella! 

here in Costa Rica it depends on the type of school you are working in. 

Public = few English lessons about 4 lessons during a week ( 45 minutes each lesson) 

Private= a lot more English- They have English classes divided in 4-5 subjects ( listening and speaking (4 lessons per week), reading and writing ( 4 lessons per week)  grammar ( 3 lessons per week) , spelling ( 1 lesson per week)  and science( 2 lesson per week) 

17 Jan 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Here in Spain in state High schools, they usually have three lessons a week, except when they are in a bilingual group; in that case they have four and also students who are 14-15, who also have four hours a week. From my point of view it is not enough  although our lessons last 55 minutes.

Yolanda

17 Jan 2011     

melahel7
Canada

Here in Quebec, Canada it �s quite pathetic--60 mins/week for cycle one (1-2) and two (3-4) and 90 mins for cycle three (5-6).  However, it might be more depending on the school staff �s decision.  We also have intense english which is five months academic and five months of total immersion for grade six students.  I �m quite surprised that most of you have a lot more.  I actually envy you.

17 Jan 2011     

Cayita
Colombia

Hi, in Colombia public high schools are asked to work 40 weeks a year, and English teachers have 3 hours per week, which is not enough but we, as language teachers, try to take as much advantange as possible from this time!!

17 Jan 2011     

olaola
Italy

Dear Mariella, I don �t know about yours, but in my classes of " scuola media" I have 30 students!!!! ( and only 3 periods a week of course!!!!)

tiziana (olaola)

17 Jan 2011     

t.gyorgyi
Hungary

I teach students aged 9-14 (grades 4-8) in a primary school in Hungary. They all have 3 (45-minute-long) lessons a week. But there are 2 groups in grades 7 and 8 (the �stronger ss � are here) which have +2 extra lessons a week. It �s our special local offer. :-)

17 Jan 2011     

carotte
France

Hello Mariella,
In France we have : from 7 to 10 = 2X 3/4h per week
At 11, 4h a week
from 12 to 15, 3h a week.
I think that it is almost the same in all the countries of the European Union.

Carotte

17 Jan 2011     

mrlypy
Brazil

In Brazil we have two classes in each group a week: 50 minutes each class.

17 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >