Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 19.12.2011    

WOD 19.12.2011

MarionG
Netherlands

WOD 19.12.2011

I must say I was a bit surprised to find out I won the Word of the Day and I do owe an apology to my son.....The kind of language I credited him with never crossed his lips....

And now, without further ado....The new word of the day......give it a go....

omphaloskepsis

For those who are new to the game, the idea is to give a self made definition for the word NOT the real definition! Just go with you associative thinking and share...
have fun!

19 Jan 2011      

mkalman
Hungary

an ideological trend much in fashion today, where one doubts the existence of their belly-button.

19 Jan 2011     

mkalman
Hungary

but in reality it might signify an existential doubt about the center of things...

19 Jan 2011     

chud
Israel

OMPHALOSKEPTIC - is a male who is skeptic about other males � phaloses, e.g. he doesn �t believe that they �re as impressive as his own.  Thumbs Up 

19 Jan 2011     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

to me it means the following

a trend in culture which is skeptical about  men �s penis as a symbol of fertility
 sorry for this far-fetched definition

19 Jan 2011     

dufffy
France

I guess (??!!) I was or am far more naive than you guys out there! I am a native speaker and  for me "give it a go" means "you can achieve anything if you try, just  go for it"!! I �m 46 and maybe I live in a different world but can you not think of anything else other than SEX nowadays???!!! "Give it a go" could mean in this generation without being crude " get off your backside and do something about it!!!!

19 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

omphaloskepsis: to show skepticism as to the excistence of the ompha lumpas.

19 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

om -oma (German word for grandma)
phalo-having to do with a phalus (male reproduction organ)
skepsis-skepticism

omphaloskepsis- what Oma experiences when Opa (Grandpa) says he �s feeling sexy and wants to "give it a go"

Douglas

PS-"give it a go"  means to give something a try/attempt something

19 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ho duffy, relax! My �give it a go � was intended innocently enough.. I really just meant to encourage everyone to just try and write a witty definition...(personally, my associations where more along the Ompha Loompa line as Ed suggested...)

�Give it a go�  was not part of the word for today....

As things stand now, only half of the definitions include references to the male reproductive organ (which is still something different than SEX - your capitals)
Why don �t you try writing a not-sexually-charged definition yourself and thereby tip the balance in favor of  �definitions for the entire family �   Wink

edit: douglas posted after I started writing......

19 Jan 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Omphaskepsis= a nickname given to an retired tuba player from Greece.

He comes from Thessalonica
He played in an Ompha band
his name is Skepsis Papadopolis
they call him   Omphaskepsis, the answer is at hand.
the LO is superfluous.... it�s just for show...

19 Jan 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Do I really have a belly-button?!, nah...

20 Jan 2011