Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Flash Card from Price Mart:game ideas    

Flash Card from Price Mart:game ideas

annabelle1654
Germany

Flash Card from Price Mart:game ideas

Hello All,

I �ve created some flash cards of things like detergent and bread along with prices out of the newspaper.  I �m trying to think of engaging ways to use them with my students.  We �ve been practice containers, boxes, rolls, ect. As well as how much and how many. I �d like to turn the flash cards into a game, but I am clueless. Any Ideas:)))

I am filled with gratitude for being able to share ideas and challenges with such great colleagues on such a wonderful site!!

All the best to you,
Belles

23 Jan 2011      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

You might play this game: You need 36 small pictures of food, etc.,  blank cards, dice, counters and toy money. Put the cards face- up in a large circle or square. Tell the children that this is a big supermarket. Give each child 35 pounds. Children try to buy as many articles as possible with this money. In turns, they roll a dice and move their counter from card to card. They can move in any direction. They can choose whether or not to buy the card they stop on. It costs as much as the number on the dice. The teacher is the shop assistant. If a child buys the article, he/she hands the money over, gets the card and puts a blank card in its place. When all articles have been bought, or when all players have run out of money, the player who has bought the most articles wins the game. With large class, children can play in groups.

23 Jan 2011     

dturner
Canada

With flashcards, my kids love to play "slap".  Ver 1.  Two students sitting next to each other.  If the flashcards are small and can fit on a desk we use one or two fingers.  I call out something that the students can answer and slap their fingers down on the correct card --  it can be the actual image on the card, you can say something that fits into the container (picture on the card), or say a phrase or sentence (like a gap) which is answered by one of the images.  The first student to slap his fingers on the card, takes it.  The person with the most cards wins.
Ver 2.  Divide the class into two teams, sit or kneel alternately on the floor around in a circle.  For larger flashcards I use a �fly swatter �.  Each team has a different colour swatter (say red,blue, red, blue, red blue) sitting around the circle.  I call the word, a gap sentence, container --  again, anything that the kids could figure out the answer to and slap the card.  See rules same as above, but this time the team wins.  They absolutely love this game.  You have to talk about appropriate use of the fly swatter.  Swatters on the ground to start, can only swat one card at a time, so once the swatter has swatted a student can �t hunt around swatting for more.  No hitting others, and so on. 

24 Jan 2011