Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD winner for Jan.23, 2011    

WOD winner for Jan.23, 2011

edrodmedina
United States

WOD winner for Jan.23, 2011

The winner is Marion with her daffynition: I thought the word was supposed to be odd.This one is English plain an simple.
Mammoth - big hairy elephant
rept- past tense of �to reap � / to harvest in both the literal and symbolic sense

Mammothrept is therefore no more obsecure than other compound words such as firstborn, starfish or eggplant.
The meaning is interesting though, thanks to the possible symolic meaning of the verb �rept �.

In its straightforward form it simply means �rept (harvested) by mammoths �. For this reason only it is an obsecure word, seeing how mammoths have been extinct for quite some time now and haven �t been harvesting much lately.

The more interesting  meaning of the word is derived from the symbolic usage of the verb �to reap � as in �encounter the consequences �  (reap what you sow). It this sense mammothrept is used to indicate facing those consequences of your actions which could have been anticipated by even a mammoth.
Examples: If you drink a few bottles of bad wine in one night it is mammothrept you will have a headache the next morning. If you tell your husband he did a bad job on the dishes it is mammothrept he will not volunteer to do them again.  
Come to think of it, it is a great word to introduce conditionals!
Will make a sheet about it some other time though, now I have to run to my therapist to talk about all the issues I have with my breasts..... ;) Yeah soryy, that was my first association with the word :) ;)

PS... I�m sure we are all looking forward to Marions WS on her mammoth breasts. ;-)
BTW our word means: a child that is spoiled by his/her grandmother

24 Jan 2011      

Mariethe House
France

OMG!! So my little Charlotte is a mammothrept! Shocked

Well, I guess i shall have to stop spoiling her!!LOL

24 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

ED!! I said nothing about mammoth breasts!!! mamma is Latin for breast which is what caused the obvious association, all breasts, big and small, would fall under that name!!!
The sheet was supposed to be on mammothrept as a word frequently used in conditionals but now you give me this kind of attidtude you can forget about me making a sheet like that!

24 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@marion Ohh...I �m sorry.. ;-) I guess I didn �t  read carefully..

24 Jan 2011