Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Running Records    

Running Records

Vickiii
New Zealand

Running Records

I have been asked for help - and hence turn to this wonderful community.

A friend has to test a native english student to level their reading to send info to a new school.  I suggested she do a running record but I have been unable to find any that are properly levelled. 

does anyone have a spare text lying around that is levelled? - ie benchmark or PM.

It is for a 71/2 year old.

I know this isn�t an esol request sorry - but i am hoping that someone has one they could possibly give me a link to or email through.

9 Dec 2008      

wolfy
Chile

I take it you mean 7 and a half not 71 / 72.

The problem you have is that a native 7 year old will speak and read children�s English (informal) but probably will not be very good with business English (formal).

In Chile learners are pretty good at formal English because they share similar latin routes, but are no hopers with informal English. �If your friend is not Native she�s going to have problems understanding the child. �To test his reading skills you need children�s stories with comprehension questions, I think the best solution would be to create a ws for them.

You could try these "Just so stories"(and you�ll see exactly what I mean, no problem for a native child but try giving that to your students and you�ll be stuck on every second word):

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Ta for the link kev. I�d forgotten all about Kipling! Wonderful stuff Big smile
B-)

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Ta for everything.

Especially to the wonderful mum who sent me so much awesome material.  It is so perfect!

9 Dec 2008