Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny translations    

Funny translations

edrodmedina
United States

Funny translations

There are hundreds of examples like this at engrish.com Funny as heck.

27 Jan 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Thanks! I already sent the link to my fellow collegues.

27 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I always visit this site when I �m in a foul mood/depressed/frustrated, within a few minutes I have tears of laughter rolling down my face....great medicine!

27 Jan 2011     

Lindax
Ukraine

Thank you Ed!

I haven`t laughed so hard in ages!

27 Jan 2011     

stexstme
France

Well, Lindax, You really need to meet me...

27 Jan 2011     

Lindax
Ukraine

Yes Sylvie, meeting you sounds great!

Are you suggesting you could make me laugh even harder? 

After all the trouble I`ve been going through lately I would welcome a good joke!

27 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ed,

Tried these?

The beer was great...

Check out Victor Mair �s posts at Language Log ( he�s their resident �sinologist�) as to how a lot of these mistranslations come about.

27 Jan 2011     

Mallerenga
Spain

Oh my God! Once I went to a restaurant and they had "bollo____" instead of meat balls. I thought it was something unusual!!!

27 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

There was a discussion earlier about what is or isn �t acceptable on this site. Leaving aside the motives of the clown who started the thread, most of the punters here agreed that we �re all adult enough to make up our own minds as to what is or isn �t acceptable. In this spirit, I give you one of the most common Chinglish mistranslations:

I should point out that it actually refers to an exercise class and that the translator unfortunately went for the wrong option when referring to physical effort.

27 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Almaz..(Alex)...Clown??? moi??? I �ve had no fomal training so I cannot in good conscience claim to be a clown.  Besides that would be an insult to all clowns.

27 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Edward,

My bad, mate (as you colonials might say). Perish the thought that I would think you were a clown. No, I was talking about the balloon who started this thread (i just looked back at my previous post and I can see the ambiguity). You �re one of the good guys in my book.

28 Jan 2011