Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hi collegues! How can I teach English to my 1.5 year old-son?    

Hi collegues! How can I teach English to my 1.5 year old-son?

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I live in Spain, my son is 10 and is trilingual, English, Castellano and Gallego. I am now trying to interest him in French as it is obligatory in school next year.
 I have always spoken to him in English, his books and dvds were all in English when he was little, his father speaks to him in Spanish, and I admit I tell him off in Spanish.
Although he understood everything when he was little he didnt start to speak English till he was about 3 or 4.  He usually only speaks to me in English now when we are in England, or if we are with a group of English people, when I talk to him in English he answers in Spanish.

I �m sure different methods work for different families but I �d say picture books and DVDs in English are a good starting point, and any exposure to English is beneficial.

xx

2 Feb 2011     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

When my son was two, all he could say was "mama", and doctors - as they always do - used to say how stupid he was! A visit to a doctor was a nightmare!

So, I showed my son pictures and named animals, mixed pictures and named them again and again. He learned about 30 words in a week. (English words are shorter and easier). The doctor said I was crazy!

As regards constructions, when he was four (and at last he could talk really well), he could easily - without thinking - change them correctly (It �s a cat - It �s a bat).

But we gave it up because he had toooo many problems with Russian sounds. But still he �s interested in English and when he listens to English songs for children, he can repeat some phrases without understanding them. But for him it was much easier to learn the words at two than at seven.

I hope my experience is interesting to you.

Helen.

2 Feb 2011     

alexcure
Poland

It �s true that  the movies, cartoons, songs, or just pure listening in English every day (you can use the sources such as: http://www.agendaweb.org/)  are the most valuable linguistic  tools ever as they provide a child with a certain dose of the natural linguistic environment in which he/she doesn �t have to learn but acquires. (Then when we - parents- talk to our children in English it doesn�t sound weird to them!)

A friend of mine has always had English environment at home since she was born, it was thanks to her father... (British TV,  TV series, radio and later newspapers) to the effect that when she went to England for the first time she was considered British - she speaks with native accent. He father didn �t use English all the time as his accent wasn �t so good, but she could hear English every day from different native sources.

Have a good day ;-)

Alex

2 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

I would never attempt to speak English with one of my children as I am not a native speaker. I wouldn �t want them to learn my limited range of language only.
On top of that I would be only half as creative where terms of endearment and tender, loving, crazy mother-language are concerned, speaking to my child in a foreign language - never. It would seem much too artificial to me and confusing for the child.

2 Feb 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i taught my son english since he was born, i spoke english and only english and my ex husband spoke only spanish to him. today he is 11 years old and completely bilingual, no problems at all. he has to take a profeciency test every year at school in both languages and in both he is at the top, though in math he is as dumb as his mom, i should have done something about that. anyway if you are going to teach him english do so only if you have a good pronunciation and knowledge of the language.

2 Feb 2011     

nuritan
Turkey

Yes last night i searched lots of web-sites and read that a foreign language should be taught at the age of 2. and i started to make my son watch english kids videos. And he often watches  cartoons at Luli TV so  i �ve  changed its language from Turkish to English (its original language). And i m gonna show pictures and name them in English. But i won �t do it instantly i mean not by disturbing and boring  him..from today  we are watching videos, looking at pictures and watching cartoons in english : )) it is enough i think. thank you all my dear collegues i love this site : ))

3 Feb 2011     

douglas
United States

Simply speak English with/to the child--that �s how my children grew up bilingual (and a couple dialects as well).

3 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2