Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD continued....sort of    

WOD continued....sort of

edrodmedina
United States

WOD continued....sort of

Have you ever made a mistake and promised yourself that you would never, ever under any circumstance repeat that mistake? Well guess what? I in my infinite wisdom had chosen a few words in advance in the event that I would win the WOD game again. A wise decision one would think. Unfortunately I jotted the words in a note pad in my own handwriting. Suffice to say that my handwriting has a lot to be desired. A chimp on LSD writing with his feet probably has better penmanship than I do or maybe I was gambrinous,  nevertheless I posted gamboriuos (close huh?) and neglected to double check my spelling last night at about 11PM EST (east coast USA). While this time the error was not as dreadful as the last time, I had people all over scrambling for dictionaries and  not being able to locate my misspelled word that is nonexistent  word. Thanks to a conversation I was having with Marion, I checked my word and noticed my folly.

For those of you who played earlier I will take your posts into consideration and give them the same weight as the new posts. If you wish to post again, I will not sic the dreadful moderators on you. You will not, I repeat, you will not be punished, persecuted or penalized for posting again because of my mistake, besides there has never been a rule against posting more than one daffynition. Please everyone forgive me and join in and keep this game going. Today�s word is gambrinous. Ed

4 Feb 2011      

lamyaa
Egypt

ed: i luv the way you write... have you ever thought about writing your own novel or may be a book? Am very serious by the way :)Thumbs Up
in the arabic (Egyptian at least) language gambary means shrimps, so maybe your word  gambrinous means: someone who has shrimps in the head

4 Feb 2011     

maryse pey�
France

well it change only little things in my definition you know :

GA for Earth
M for Mother
B for Baby
Bri for Bright and brilliant
Inous for Inside Of Us

So that gives : Mother Ga Earth and her Baby must be Bright and Brilliant Inside Of Us !!!

4 Feb 2011     

eng789
Israel

gam - slang term for a person �s leg, especially of an attractive female
bri - The meaning of the name Bri is �Noble, strong, virtuous
nous -Good sense (Chiefly British Good sense; shrewdness)

leggy girl called Bri who is strong, virtuous and has good sense

4 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

Ed,

A bit off-topic, but:

Please do tell what is the daffynition ofdaffynition �  LOL

(Somehow, I suspect it was not really a �pen of slip � on your part !!!)

ps: BTW, during my (short) 15 years online, I �d easily rate this community (ESLprintables) amongst the Top 10 that I �ve ever had the pleasure of being a member of.

4 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Someone other than myself coined the word ( I wish I could remember but I �m getting old and feeble) daffy means a little crazy, nuts, cuckoo..nition from definition combine the two we have daffynition:  a crazy definition.
Have you heard of Daffy Duck?

4 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

>> daffy means a little crazy, nuts, cuckoo..nition from definition combine the two we have daffynition:  a crazy definition. <<

ROTFL   Big smile

4 Feb 2011     

Mallerenga
Spain

"Gambrinous":) Wow a nice word that I �m sure you know that comes from the Spanish.

Gamb is the short form of "Gamba" (shrimp)
rinous termination that means "in the form of".

So gambrinous is the combination of both and means the art of being a Shrimp. This is what people from northern countries of Europe are called when they come to the Mediterranean coast and burn in the sun after 10 minutes. They are gambrinous.

4 Feb 2011     

baiba
Latvia

Hmmmm, Ed are you sure you did not mean this? (famous Czech beer)

4 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Gambrinous? Well I should know what it means because it is a word of the Czech origin.
The noun Gambrinus is a name of a Czech beer so obviously the adjective "gabrinous" meens "in need of a nice bottle of beer" = "really thirsty".

Excuse me, I am off to check the contents of our fridge... :-)

4 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

BAIBA! WE ARE WRITING AT THE SAME TIME!
YOU WERE READING MY MIND!!!
NAUGHTY GIRL!
Wink

Edit:
PS: Gabrinus is the best beer :-D

4 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >