Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Winner of WOD for Feb. 4, 2011    

Winner of WOD for Feb. 4, 2011

edrodmedina
United States

Winner of WOD for Feb. 4, 2011

Hello everyone! Well not everyone, just those reading this, well I guess those that aren�t reading this too but someone�s going to have to go  tell them. It is time to choose the winner of the WOD. After deliberating with the Great and Wondrous Oz, I�ve chosen... well before that I would like to say sald, cheers, saude, skaal, prost, fisehatak, sant, l�chaim, yung sing, kampai, proost,  to all my friends and if there�s a language that�s been left out please feel free to add yours on. The winner is Magneto with this daffynition:

I believe it�s a misspelled compound noun used to describe a gambling rhinoceros...The correct word is obviously gambrhinus, but someone spelled it gambrinous, leaving out the h and adding an o to the original Latin suffix �us...Tut, tut, tut.

I just like the imagery of a rhinoceros (preposterous) playing Texas Hold �em. Why she had to mention the Egyptian boy-King at the end is beyond me.

According to Wiktionary:

The origins of the word are probably from King Gambrius a legendary king of Flanders and the unofficial patron saint of beer and beer brewing.

Gambriuos is an adjective:

drunk; or full of beer

So our Czech friends were not far off.  BTW my mission this weekend will be to find a cold, crisp bottle of Gambrinus.

4 Feb 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Elrod - what happened to your message?
The whole board looks out of whack!

5 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Thanks E - that helped!

5 Feb 2011