Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > farm animal topic    

farm animal topic

cristinacarre
Spain

farm animal topic

Hello, I am teaching a six years students, they are 27 students.
the class is very noise and I need material to teach  them farm animals.

I am looking for a nice story to engage them.
a film about the story and also some crafts about animals,

can you help me?.
I have lot of behaviour problems with this group. Is quite difficult to engage them.

thanks a lot.

6 Feb 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

Have you tried the Ugly Duckling? I love using that story with kids (there are plenty of materials here, I even have a play with it)....

6 Feb 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Lots of animal crafts

6 Feb 2011     

alex1968
Greece

I also use the story of the gingerbread man and just include all the animals I want.
You can make it into a play
1 child is the the gingerbread man and the others are the farmer, the farmer �s wife, farmer �s son/ daughter, and all the animals.

Horse: "Hello. I �m a horse"
GM: "Hello. I �m the gingerbread man."
Horse: "Stop! I want to eat you!"
GM:  "Run, run! You can run! But you can �t catch me, I �m the gingerbread man."e 

I get the children to wear headbands of the animals they represent.
or http://www.kizclub.com/craft/headband/Animal-Headband.pdf  The 2nd link is black and white which is the one I use.  I get the kids to colour and prepare their headbands.

You can find the play of the gingerbread man here http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/elt/products/gingerbreadplay.pdf

that �s where I took the dialogue from.  You can simplify the original version to suit your needs.

Another great story is "Brown bear, brown bear what do you see?"
You can find some great materials here: http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/brownbear/index.htm
You could replace the brown bear with a farm animal like a horse or cow.
This story has a lot of repitition and works really well.  I always use it :)
They can make their own mini books :)

Good luck with your class!
Regards from sunny Thessaloniki 
Alex
(I �m taking advantage of the good weather and will go cycling with my friends this afernoon :))

6 Feb 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello, Cristina!

With so many kids, it would be difficult to keep them quiet!

When I taught young kids(primary level, 2nd year, 7/8years of age) I did a big poster using a cardboard and invited students in turns to draw a farm animal and write the caption below.

Other option is giving them the drawings and they stick them using Bluetak.At the top I wrote the title"Our farm".

They enjoyed the activity.

In order to make them stick to the rules have you tried to speak with school community(other teachers, kids �parents)?It is very good to have reinforcement and to promote team spirit!

A strategy that I used to promote good behaviour was by sticking a cardboard in a wall with their names and  I put a green smile(if the had an appropriate behavour, a yellow smile, if it was average and a red one if they had a not very appropriate behaviour)What do you think?

Have a nice Sunday!Smile

6 Feb 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi,

Try here:

You may use some activities related to pregrafism:

I sent you a PM.
Have a nice day,
Sabrina

6 Feb 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Btw, it helps to use centres of activity if you absolutely have to have them all in one class. Centres are a good way to keep their interest high and have some control over what �s going on - e. g. you can tell a story to the whole class. Then you divide them into centres - one centre goes to the table where you have prepared a coloring or matching sheets for them, one group goes to the centre where they have to arrange a cut-out puzzle of a picture connected to the story (and matching words in capitals if they can read), one group is with you in a corner or on a carpet and they do the TPR version of the story or a corresponding rhyme/song/fingerplay, one group plays a flashcard memory game with farm animals on one table/carpet, etc. They all spend 5-10 mins in their centre, and then you go around with your group and check what they did, and then you rotate them all. Now sb else is doing TPR with you, sb else coloring/doing crafts, etc. You can use less centres at first (perhaps only 3), and it �s horribly difficult to introduce and control at first. But it works miracles for your classroom managment, motivating and feedback. It also helps if you have a teacher trainee come to help you from time to time, just to check on the centres and praise the kids for their work. Parents can also be �assistant � teachers sometimes, but it �s rather risky, because not all parents understand your purpose and some kids have a crisis seeing sb else �s parent there, and not their own. It can be wonderfully effective, but requires lots of organising and authority on your part, and respect and willingness on theirs.
Doing plays with such groups, esp if you can have a trainee assistant, is absolutely great, because you can have kids doing role-play, others do a song which suits the play, some can act the �trees �, so there �s something for everyone. Reward the positive, that way you �ll be able to ignore and lessen the negative aspects.

6 Feb 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Fantastic cartoon with great songs and activities: HOME ON THE RANGE http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299172/

6 Feb 2011     

anuska8
Spain

Last year I was in the same situation. Take into account that six years old children are noisy and always are absentminded but, finally, you get all their love. 

It �s a good idea start with a flashcard game. For example, each student has a picture or a word of a different animal. Then, you say aloud the name of one animal and the students who have the picture and the word, stand up and stick them on the blackboard. I �m convinced that doing this all children know the vocabulary at the end of the lesson. 
Flashcards related to the topic: http://www.teachchildrenesl.com/filez8932/flashcards/farm_animals.pdf (Remember to separate in different flashcards the word and the picture). 

Have a nice day!

6 Feb 2011     

cristinacarre
Spain

Thank you very much!!!
I hope it works. I will make you know.
thank you.
cristina

6 Feb 2011