Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is the verb "manage" used in continuous forms    

Is the verb "manage" used in continuous forms

ana m
Spain

Is the verb "manage" used in continuous forms

Hello everybody
This is my first time at the forum. First of all I would like to thank Victor for having this great idea and the rest of teachers for sharing your great work and for the comments that some of you have made on my worksheets.
I am writing tonight because I have a little problem with the verb "manage". Is it possible to use it in the continuos tenses? Would it be correct to say:

"I have been managing to do ...?

I am lookink forward your answer and Thanks in advance for your help

9 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

Yes, you can use "manage" in a continuous form... but not really in the sense you are using it with the "to do". It should be something like these:

"He has been managing the night club for to years." as in "looking after the club"...

"I have been managing on my own for many a year" - I have been "looking after myself/surviving/etc..."

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Good question, �I started typing and had to erase everything and think again.

To manage: as in to suceed despite problems. �I have managed to ... implies success, the problem is over therefore I wouldn�t use "I have been managing to...", maybe I have been coping with ... is OK.

The important thing here is "manage to" and the use of the present perfect continuous. �
You could say: "I have been managing this company for two years" � But that has a different meaning. �I am a Manager and I have been doing my job for two years.

9 Dec 2008     

firstime
France

Super explanation kevinwolfenden! Thanks.

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi ,kevinwolfenden
Chile

I think that "manage" and "manage to" are to different  verbs.

"manage" (=direct and control) can be used in the progressive or simple  form present or past or future.
"manage to" (=do a task despite the difficulty(ies)) should be used only in the simple form but in the past or the future.

9 Dec 2008     

ana m
Spain

Thank you very much indeed for your explanations, Zora and kevinwolfenden. That was I thought about it but during my last lesson tonight I ve read something that has made me think in a different way. Unfortunately I haven�t got the book at home but I will look at it tomorrow and tell you something.

Thanks again and good night

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Goodnesses, that was the point I was trying to make :)

9 Dec 2008