Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > activities for the 1st of ESO    

activities for the 1st of ESO

WestHampstead
Spain

activities for the 1st of ESO

Hello!
I �ve got a class of 1st of ESO a bit complicated. They �re only 17 but they �ve got difficulties in languages and some of them misbehave too. We �re studying the present simple tense, adverbs of frequency but it �s difficult to catch their attention and keep them motivated and busy. Can you suggest any ideas? I need something different than filling in worksheets. I �m running out of ideas and patience! Sometimes I just don �t know how to do it. They �re rather childish and make nonsense comments, talk a lot...
THANKS A LOT!

7 Feb 2011      

L. habach
Morocco

Teens may be motivated if you indulge them in such activities as talking about their routines, preferences, hobbies etc. I think it will be a good opportunity for them to use simple present tense and adverbs of frequency. Good luck and try to be patient. We are dealing with modern teens!!!

7 Feb 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I found this board game from philipr . It is suggested for present continuous but can be adapted to yoour needs. For example the students can be asked to ask a question about each picture and answer with a frequency adverb.
Ex : How often  do you play baseball?
I never play baseball
You can enter some guiding clues in each square.
Just an idea. Good luck!Smile
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=345710#this

8 Feb 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Is primero de ESO not first year of high school - ie 12 year olds?
anyway, my teens love mime - I put them in two teams, I have a timer, I give them a slip of paper with a sentence (in whatever tense you are studying) they have one minute to mime it.  Their team gets 2 points f they guess it. If their teammates dont guess it the other team can guess for one point. 

But, I ONLY allow games after the class have done some serious work, even if its 20 mins work and 30 mins play. they soon learn the rule: if they work, they will be rewarded.

I do lots of controlled speaking exercise in pairs, it pair gapfill, interviews, etc.

look at englishtips.org - you will find a lot of books on grammar games and motivating kids to download.

8 Feb 2011     

mackka
United Kingdom

Hi
just to add to previous suggestions.  I find the favourite game that almost invisibly reinforces grammar is "change chairs"  where the class sit in the circle and one person is in the centre. 

That person starts the game with "change chairs if you... " and adds the condition whether it is simple past, present, adverbs of frequency etc.  For example brushed your teeth this morning, ate cereal at breakfast, love the color blue, like animals, ride a bike, have brown hair, are a girl, frequently get a haircut, never go to the dentist and so on. 

The people meeting the condition then have to move with the one in the centre getting into a chair leaving the last one to sit down caught out and having to state the next condition.  With teens this gets them moving, breaks up cliques, awkward boy- girl interaction and is a good �getting to know you � exercise.

8 Feb 2011     

evgenija_kuka
Macedonia

Teaching grammar can truly be boring to children! How about some games?
1. Make a square-off grid with up to 10 squares. Divide them into teams and let them open fields. For example; A4. Then you give them a word, which can be any adverb of frequency or a verb (goes, play...) or an auxiliary and ask them to make a correct sentence without changing the word in any way. The team who does it, choses left, right, up or down in the A4 square and you draw a full line. The team who manages to make a full square first gets points and another extra chance to score.
You can make a variation of the game by making a table of 5x4 squares and writing  a single word into each square (this is usable with all types of grammar or vocabulary!). Students are divided into teams and each team gives a word to the other. The team that gets the word has to use it in a grammatically correct sentence in a reasonable amount of time (20-30 seconds or so). If they don �t, the first team can try and score, and then gets its regular turn. It �s very interesting because at first teams try to give the most difficult words to the other team unaware that if they don �t guess it comes back to them :D
2. Make a dice with 6 different adverbs of frequency. Make smaller teams depending on their language skills and use (or prepare) flash cards featuring verbs and a person in order to practice all forms. The teams pick up a card from the pile (cards face down) and roll the dice. For example, the card shows a train arriving at the station (you can have the verbs written down on the cards) and the dice shows �often �. They have to combine them into a sentence: The train often arrives late! You can make it a bit more difficult if you introduce a second dice dictating the type of sentence: affirmative, negative or interrogative, plus Wh-questions; Yes/No- questions for questions separately... the options are endless. Hope this makes sense and helps! Good luck!

8 Feb 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

Hello.    genkienglish.com    It � s the site about how to make your ESL lessons interesting. But the problem is what you want to do -  Teach grammar or organize communication. Ermm

Good luck!!

8 Feb 2011     

izulia
China

Wow, some nice games to teach grammar, evgenija_kuka!
Thank you!

8 Feb 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

Sorry, sorry. genkienglish.net

8 Feb 2011     

WestHampstead
Spain

THANKS A LOT TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP!

8 Feb 2011