Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > A humble suggestion that I would you like you to consider    

A humble suggestion that I would you like you to consider

imanito
Morocco

A humble suggestion that I would you like you to consider

Hello dear friends,

I have noticed that the games we play have taken over the forum �s main purpose (many members think the same thing http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=26241
I really love the games but the way they are disturbing the forum �s main purpose is a bit annoying. So why don �t we move those games to the caf�? But there is only one problem which is the fact that only 30 msgs are preserved and is impossible to create a single thread and follow it. If something can be done about this, it would be great.
Thank you so much guys.

8 Feb 2011      

yetigumboots
Germany

Thumbs Up

8 Feb 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I agree with you imanito. Many times some members asked  for help and when I replied, the question had already vahished from the main page. The games should be in the caf� or perhaps there could  be a game section.

8 Feb 2011     

class centre
Belarus

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

8 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I have to admit that people suddenly appointing themselves as gamesmasters is going to become annoying as well as boring and pathetic (I also admit to giving in to the temptation to take part in one of these). 
On the other hand, a coterie of self-appointed forum-masters is just as irritating. Who decides whether a silly game is less worthy than a silly question? Indeed, who - apart from the administrator, of course - can make a final decision on any post, at all?
Most of us are mature/intelligent enough to recognise the trolls, time-wasters, chancers, liars, cheats and assorted clowns who occasionally grace us with their presence. Remember that the �Hot Topics �/ �Recent Topics � sections are there to encourage follow-ups should the more �whimsical � posts push them off the main page.

(there �s also nothing against reposting/linking to an old post - as Imane has done in this post)

8 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Well... I quite agree with you, guys. And our forum �s limited space is something which concerns me a lot (pretty soon this important discussion will be out of our sight, for instance). Many times I have engaged into discussions talking about using the forum with more moderation, because many members come here for help, and depending on the time of the day, the threads take one or two hours to be out of the main page.

I have two suggestions (which always means more work for Victor - Sorry, dear!!! Wink You know we love you!!)

* As Word of the Day is apparently here to stay, and it is very ESL related, Victor could turn the "Calendar 2010" link into a page like the caf�, only for the WOD, which wouldn �t need a lot of links, once one winner is announced he can simply post the next word, and we can continue saving up forum space.

** The second one is: Maybe we could have only the thread �s proposition visible, and if we want to answer or see the other answers, we open it. This way we could increase the number of threads on the main page to 20 maybe, without making it tiresome to scroll down to the last one.

Those are my 2 cents... but it �s only an idea.

See you guys around!
Bruna

8 Feb 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear imanito,

I completely agree with you. Thumbs Up

8 Feb 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Freedom is essential. That �s why whoever feels like to participate in the WOD or CAPTION games has all the right to do this. Whoever doesn �t like it, don �t! And it �s not necessarily to call people trolls! Games are an important part of the teaching process which allows the teacher to reduce tension and break the ice.  

9 Feb 2011