Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Make a presentation    

Make a presentation

Mietz
Germany

Make a presentation

Dear colleagues,
a student wrote in a test "make a presentation" instead of "give a presentation". I think making a presentation is actually preparing it - not giving it, which was, what I asked for.
Is it possible to say "make a presentation" for "give a presentation"?
Thanks for your help!
Mietz

10 Feb 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

You are correct. To make means to do the preparation. It could be first language interference.

10 Feb 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Thank you Ed. I know it is first language interference. It �s just that I �m correcting tests and I would have liked it to be right, too, so as to be able to give the poor thing one more point for a better grade... Will have to find another way...

10 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mietz

We wouldn�t normally say �make a presentation� unless we are preparing a PowerPoint presentation for someone else who is actually giving it e.g. "I have to make a PPP for my boss."  But then again, �make � is not the best choice of word here. If it is not PPP then we would probably say "prepare/put together/create a presentation" if we are doing it but not presenting it.

If the person preparing the presentation is also giving it then we would normally say "I/They have to give a presentation" and it is then assumed that that person is most likely also preparing it.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Feb 2011     

saran2
Iran

Hi there
I need to help can you help me?Cry
saran

10 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

...sure saran,  if you start a new post (scroll to bottom of page and click on �start new topic �)

10 Feb 2011     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hello, friends,

Concerning Mietz �s question: is there another possible verb instead of give a presentation? And one more question: if you have a look at the Colloquial Dictionary http://www.lixiaolai.com/ocd/results.php� , it says that make a presentation can be used in the meaning Mietz is asking... i.e. informative talk. Can �t it really be understood that way? In case I got it right, of course�Smile

Mish

10 Feb 2011     

yanogator
United States

I agree with that online dictionary that "make a presentation" is acceptable, but not as clear as "give a presentation". It parallels "make a speech".

Bruce

10 Feb 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Thanks everybody for this interesting input and your ready help. :-)

10 Feb 2011