Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > let ´s be careful!    

let ´s be careful!

hananeh
Iran

let ´s be careful!

Hi every one!
It ´s not a long time that I ´m a member of this wonderful site but it ´s an enough time for me to notice some grammatical or typing mistakes among worksheets.It ´s possible for me even to have some mistakes but I just want to tell my self and you to be more careful about what we type because we are teachers and some times busy to check each worksheet!
On the other hand  I want to thank you all too for your wonderful jobs

best wishes for all of us!!!

10 Feb 2011      

zailda
Brazil

My boss used to say: "the more we work, the more we make mistakes."

We are humans, we aren ´t perfect. The only way to assure we won ´t make mistakes is doing nothing. So I hope the members here keep making mistakes! If they are too many, I can ask my students to correct them first and they ´ll believe it was on purpose, just to test their attention and skills.

And I ´m sure we spend much less time checking the worksheets than we would if we had to prepare them ourselves: having the main idea; looking for the right clipart; drawing the template; choosing the font for the text and the title; preparing the keys or the B&W version and finding a way to make everything fit in the less space possible.

And - of course - when everything were done, we ´d also search for our OWN mistakes before handing it to the students...

It ´d be great to get free of mistakes, but I don ´t believe we ´ll make it. Or at least not during THIS life.

10 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

One of my (very few) all-time-favourite quotable quotes (that I picked up from the e-mail signature of Esther Dyson aka The First Lady of the Internet, back in 1999) is:

´Always make new mistakes �

I think these four words encompass one of the deepest philosophies of knowledge and learning - the more you think about it, the more it grows on you.

As Hanane (and other Farsi speaking members here) would understand (hopefully, since the last that I spoke Farsi was over 25 years ago) :

´Chera intezzare beeja daari - maan heme chiz nee midunem �

loose English translation:

What do you expect from me? I don ´t know everything !

10 Feb 2011     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Clap�Zailda, you couldn ´t have said it better.

Creating wss is a time consuming a demanding work and talking for myself, no matter how much I try to diminish the number of typos and no matter how angry they can make me when I find them, I know I will always find some in my work. We ´re only humans, aren ´t we?

Whenever I hand out work of mine to my students I got used to telling them in advance that it is my own work so it is VERY probable that there ´ll be some typos and that I ´ll be thankful if let me know if they find some. I try to make fun of it and I try to make them aware of the fact that I am not a machine. And my experience is that they take it as easy and reasonably as Zailda does.

10 Feb 2011     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I think if anyone spots a mistake s|he should contact the author via PM. 

10 Feb 2011     

class centre
Belarus

It ´s very interesting what takes place when I say to my sts that I can make mistakes ( or any other teacher). I taught them to take it easy. Now  that they know that everyone can make a mistake they are not afraid to say something in English spontaneously , they are not tensed and limited in their expressing themselves out. More over, they  are more indulgent to other ´s mistakes which is quite important for their future adult life. We learn while making mistakes, no matter where - in typing or in real life... 

10 Feb 2011     

donapeter
Romania

The one who doesn ´t work, he/she doesn ´t make any mistakes. The one who doesn ´t make mistakes is ......... perfect.
Who wants to be perfect?

(I am quite perfect for a whileLOL )

10 Feb 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

Quite truthfully, I have to agree with hananeh to some degree. She/he is not saying that he/she is perfect and admits that at times, she/he makes mistakes. But as we are teachers here, I do think that basic grammar mistakes are almost unforgivable. We are not students anymore. We should not find errors like the following:

It ´s sun and clouds. / We go at the cinema.  / It ´s brown potatoe. / They are American. They are from USA. / Peter and Mary doesn ´t read at night. / This student makes homework in the afternoon. / At the evening, I go to bed� � And these are just examples of basic grammar errors that I have found in many of the worksheets.

Now I agree that everybody makes mistakes while typing, that ´s normal. but when you pick up a worksheet, that maybe you should have looked over, and later in class find that it has the most basic grammatical errors� well, to me that is unforgivable � especially when a student sees the error and can point it out to you!

So yes, I do second the idea that people should be a little, tiny bit more careful when uploading a worksheet. If you are tired and have been working on an elaborate worksheet; put it aside. Go over it later. Check for basic grammar errors. It ´s not all about "making things pretty". Content is just as important as looks.

10 Feb 2011     

donapeter
Romania

hey....do not misunderstand my words here!wHAT I wrote before was kind of a Murphy ´s law. 

10 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

I tend to agree with Zora.
No, in fact I agree with her very strongly.

Quite a few of the mistakes in the worksheets are absolutely shocking and often make me wonder whether the author really is a teacher. Zora doesn ´t mean little mistakes or errors or typos, but bad blunders.

I would be ashamed to hand out a worksheet with several such mistakes to my students and they would lose their respect if I did. I would never make an exercise of spotting mistakes on a worksheet with them and they wouldn ´t for a moment believe I inserted or overlooked the mistakes on purpose!
Typos don ´t count, that ´s not what I ´m talking about.

10 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I also agree with Zora.  We all make typographical mistakes.   I ´ve made a few.   It ´s the grammatical errors that  are made that a teacher should check over before uploading.     Like Zora, I have seen worksheets uploaded that make no grammatical sense at times.  Mistakes with the verb to � ´be and to have � � which are quite basic have been put into the wrong context. 

I now read anything I download very carefully, because I think some students know when an error is intentional or unintentional. 

10 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >