Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > board games for big classes    

board games for big classes

olaola
Italy

board games for big classes

I have a question: have you ever played board games in big classes (25-30 students)?
If so, how?
thanks
Tiziana (Olaola)

11 Feb 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

I have multi[ple boards and multiple cards. It �s a great way to differentiate instruction.

11 Feb 2011     

lamyaa
Egypt

Tiziana, i either enlarge it on a chart and stick it on the board, or use data show projector for the whole class to see it and ask students to come to the board to play.

Or i divide the class into groups and give one for each group then i walk by and watch what they do, sometimes i ask a colleague to assist me . Good luck!

11 Feb 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

It can work miracles. Have you tried sth like this? http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=427494#thetop 

11 Feb 2011     

stexstme
France

Yes I have! Board games from here ;o)
I usually have groups - as all my classes are over 30...- I make copies & laminate the board games. Most of the time I make groups of 4 to 6 students, give them the info they need to play, & ... let them have fun!! I always work on my own - no one here to help me ! :o(((( But it works all right. My students love it, & I think it �s a great way of having them use their English. I never have a � Fun � class when they can play games, but usually include the games in my teaching. ( Right now, I �m thinking of brilliant games by Frenchfrog or Jecika - but there are so many others!)
I even asked my pupils to make up a game, & it ended in great activities... I just had to buy things for the kids to make up their games ( no money from the school!!!) - & I was soooo happy with the result!! We all had a great time, & the kids learned so much !
I �m not very good at making up board games - I �ve always used the ones from here - but I can tell you it has always  been a real hit with the children, & I thank my dear colleagues for it.  
Sylv �

11 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

If I were you I would divide the class into groups of 5-10 students and provide the copies of boardgames. You may also print the boardgames on A3 paper or stick two A4 sheets of paper together or use the copy machine and copy the board from A4 to the big sheet of paper = A3.

You may try using different boardgames and after 10-15 minutes swap the boards, so everybody will have it �s turn and everyone will revise all three "topics". It works with elementary students very well.
(Eg. 1st boardgame on do/does/don �t doesn �t + present simple, 2nd boardgame on past simple of regular verbs + negative with didn �t, 3rd boardgame on future with will / won �t.)

You may download the board game templates for free   Templates 
Just fill in the common verbs (or the words your students know) and signal words of the tense and that �s that. (Eg: work + every day, study + in the mornings, cook dinner + in the evenings, clean teeth + every morning, etc.)

You may add some signal picture (eg. a robot for "future board", a dinosaur for past board, a  "daily routine" picture for present simple board...

Easy :-D

11 Feb 2011     

olaola
Italy

thank you to you all for your answers!!!!
I must say that I tried the board games dividing  the students into small groups giving each group a board and they played while I was checking on them. the problem is that I noticed that it was easy to lose control on them because I have to check all the groups and while I check one group the others tend to become rather noisy and they always switch into their mother tongue when I am not in front of them.... 

11 Feb 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi Olaola,
I understand what you say and I agree with you: if I use boardgames I always let students work in groups of 2 and no more ( one good and polite student with a weaker one). A larger group, in Italy does not work: they just do other things.

A game that you can use   is BINGO: each student has his/her own card and they have to be careful. It works really well if you give a prize (a sticker, candies...).
You can create your own here: http://saksena.net/partygames/bingo/

I hope this helps

Sabrina

12 Feb 2011