Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Images Scanned from bokk    

Images Scanned from bokk

PabloHenrique
Brazil

Images Scanned from bokk

Dear members,

I �d like to bring a contradictory, but not less important, subject for our discussion.

What do you guys think about use scanned images from books to illustrate our ws?

I always use that kind of image to explain something (in my grammar-guides, text...)

but the exercises are created by myself. What �s the difference between an image from  the web and a scanned one.

The scanned image is a copy, but all the explanations and the exercises our mine.

12 Feb 2011      

juliag
Japan

Dear Pablo Henrique,

Hi. My understanding is that we �re allowed to use scanned images as long as they are not taken from another esl resource (unless it is one for which the copyright has expired). This is because it says in the rules we cannot use any part of another esl resource in our worksheets.

I hope that this answers your question.
If I �m mistaken here, someone please correct me.
Hope all are having a nice weekend.
Hug

12 Feb 2011     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Julia, totally agree with you. And one more thing, I �d probably mention where the picture is copied from, were it a book and not a public use meant resource.

Hugs, Mish

12 Feb 2011     

thuy86
Korea, South

The 4th rule down from contributions state "Please, don �t use pictures taken from other ESL websites or books, even if you add your own exercises."

Professionally
1) I believe all books have copyrights  but we don �t know when it expires. Each country has its own rules. For instance, published books in USA are copyrighted for the life of the author plus about 70 years.
2) Even if they date a certain year, they can probably renew too without you knowing.
3) Let �s then assume there are possible people that can take your worksheet for the wonderful images to make a book and sell them which they have no rights to. Legal issues would arise. I would not want to jeopardize this wonderful website.

Using books images for your worksheets for your own students in which you own the book(s) should be a problem since there would not have a high hypothical chance of massive redistribution for profit. But uploading on the web is a different story.
-Even if you site/mention where you got it from, if the publishers find out that you did without their permission and wants to sue, can you take all responsibilities you caused i.e. legal issues should it arise and not tarnish this website �s aid for English language teachers?

Personally, I would like to use the pictures from books too. Since the scanned images are poor when resized. So if we could here, I would love to know! But I �m leaning towards this is a no. Cry

12 Feb 2011     

melahel7
Canada

This discussion is useless and bothersome.  A lot of people here use scanned images from books.  I know of a member who has virtually no printables created without the use of a scanned image from one text book in particular (don �t know which one however).  That doesn �t seem to bother anyone,; so I suggest we shouldn �t act as if we �re offended.  I used to report those printables but not anymore.  People are fully aware of what they download here (please don �t give me the I didn�t know speech).  Let �s keep our heads in the sand and everything is gonna be fine.

12 Feb 2011     

PabloHenrique
Brazil

Mel, I do agree with you.

Lot of members use scanned images. 

And I share the same doubt  Thuy86, how or in how way can I use scanned images?

Mish, It doesn �t matter to mention where the picture is copied from, they will remove anyway.

12 Feb 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

@PabloHenrique,

Mish is right. The ws may be reported but it does not necessary means it will be removed. BTW, Julia exactly explained what the problem is, there is nothing else to add.

Have a nice day, Michaela

12 Feb 2011     

PabloHenrique
Brazil

Hi Michaela!

I hope that  the website administrator could spare a minute to think about that:

"The ws may be reported but it does not necessary means it will be removed".

Warmly Hugs, Folks!

12 Feb 2011