Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy Sepandarmazgan ! (Iranian valentine)    

Happy Sepandarmazgan ! (Iranian valentine)

Sleeping Beauty
Iran

Happy Sepandarmazgan ! (Iranian valentine)

Sepandārmazgān (in Persian: سپندارمذگان)[1] is the celebration day of love and earth in ancient Persian culture. This day is dedicated to Spenta Armaiti, Spandārmad in Middle Persian, the Middle Iranian language/ethnolect of Southwestern Iran that during Sassanid times (224-654 CE) became a prestige dialect and so came to be spoken in other regions as well.

It is celebrated the 29th of Bahman in Iranian calendar. Modern folklore dates the celebration to ancient times and Zoroastrian tradition. Sepandarmazgan is the celebration day of Love, Friendship and Earth in ancient Persian culture.

According to Iranian tradition, the day of Sepandarmazgan was held in the Great Persian Empire in the 20th century BC. That is the national title of the Earth and the Earth is the symbol of love & modesty. Persians have a rich culture with many great feasts based on natural occasions that have been mixed up with happiness and Joy. In the feast of Sepandarmazgan, the Earth was worshiped and women venerated. On this day, women and girls sat on the throne and men and boys had to obey them and bring them presents and gifts. In this way, men were reminded to acclaim and respect women. Sepandarmaz is another name for mainyu (earth) meaning Holy, Humble and Passionate. Sepandarmaz is also Earth Guardian Angel. It is the symbol of humbleness. It means modest toward the entire creation. These are the qualities attributed to Earth that spreads beneath our feet, thus the symbol of modesty and love. As human beings, there are creatures that we find unpleasant and repulsive, but Earth is not like us. She embraces all creatures the same and loves them the same; like a mother who loves all children alike, even when they are ugly. In ancient Persian culture, mother is symbolized by Sepandarmaz or earth.

all information are from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandarmazgan

18 Feb 2011      

Colorful Dandelion
Germany

Happy Sepandārmazgān!  Heart

18 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Happy Sepandārmazgān!
Can you tell us how it is celebrated in modern days? Do women still get to tell the men what to do? (reminds me a little of the way we celebrated mother �s day in my childhood, that day we would do everything for mom, not letting her work in any way)
It would be nice to hear how it is celebrated nowadays.

18 Feb 2011     

Sleeping Beauty
Iran

unfortunately every things just changed! may be a great husband or a good date tries to make his wife/girlfriend happy, but it �s just it.they buy roses and this kind of things to make her happy and celebrate it and honestly it �s mixed with valentine �s day, actually because the dates are close to each other .
in a sentence i can say men do what ever make a woman happy in this day.i hope i could say the exact things you wanted dear friend Smile

18 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thanks for the explanation..Very similar to Valentine �s day indeed. Also here, not every partner remembers to spoil his woman. AAAh, Men....Wink

18 Feb 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Happy Sepandārmazgān!
Mariannina

18 Feb 2011     

farshid
Iran

sepandarmazgan day:

in the old days, the Persian kings put their wives on the kingdom seat and put the crown on their head to honor them.

18 Feb 2011     

Sleeping Beauty
Iran

my pleasure dear.
yeah in old times Farshid! not these days !

18 Feb 2011     

Mabdel
Morocco

Happy Sepandarmazgan !
Hugs from Morocco

18 Feb 2011