Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to deal with tons of grammar without "killing" the students?    

How to deal with tons of grammar without "killing" the students?

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear Zailda, as you already know, I use games as much as I can. And I have tons of them... The point is to give one point for the content of what they do and 2 for the grammar - once they realise 5 sentences will carry 10 points instead of just 5, they try harder.
But frankly - it �s not so much about which games you play, or that they �re elaborate and technically attractive, it �s more about the humour we use while discussing the games, and definitely about the rewards offered afterwards ( �bribes �) - my teenagers will try so hard for a reward, as long as it �s not just an A in the extra credit column! They love stickers (go figure!), chocolates, getting the chance to choose the next game we �ll play, and lately getting folders or notepads has become their thing - we have some folders with the school logo and they love getting that to keep their ws copies in and boast about every time they pull it out... Vanity can be a huge motivatorWink, but with your work experience, you know that, right?
And another thing I always find useful. Preparing a ppt with mistakes in it - once they see stuff written in huge, bold letters on the wall, they notice them immediately. They love finding other people �s mistakes, and this reminds them when they use certain phrases to be careful not to repeat the mistake which was so obivous on the wall of the classroom...

19 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I often play Jeopardy.  I divide the game into different sections, such as tenses, modal verbs, prepositions etc.  The higher the amount they choose the harder the question.  I find the students really like this game and also when the answer is given I have the students answer why they chose that particular answer. An example:  John_______(go) to Paris last year.  The student answers � �went is the past of go and the key word last indicates a time in the past � �.
I also have a game I prepare that is almost the same as jeopardy except the questions are in an envelope and the student chooses an envelope with the subject.  The envelopes contain headings like, tenses, vocabulary, take a chance (which could be any catagory) etc.
If you like, let me know and I will send you a copy.  I have a copy of one with my printables.
There is also a game called Wordup on the net which is fun and you can get free samples.

19 Feb 2011     

perma
Greece

Just remembered another game you can play to practice simple present, can/can �t, wh- questions and everyday language in general. 

I use a ready made game for this, that someone gave as present to my children. I can �t find a link to show you, but it �s easy to make your own version. 
Make and print nice and big colourful pictures of things like: animals, things we can eat or drink, various everyday objects. A student comes to the board and you pin a random picture on the board behind him/her with an arrow pointing down at the kid. The student must not see the picture of course. Then he/she must ask questions to find "what he/she is". The other students answer the questions. 

Questions that will be produced include: Am i alive? Am I an object? Where can you find me? What can you do with me? What colour am I? What sound do I make? and so on. If your students are not confident enough to make the questions, you can prepare a sheet with some ready questions to give them a start.  

It �s a fun game, my students always enjoy it. You can also use a timer to make it more challenging. 

Smile

Edit: actually, there is no real need to prepare pictures for this, just write the word on the board. To avoid ambiguity you can even write the translation nexto to it.  Zero preparation! I have the pix anyway so I use them. It adds to the fun of the game to have visuals, but it�s not necessary.

19 Feb 2011     

olaola
Italy

when I have to teach grammar and my students are particularly bored I use funny sentences as examples, or the so called imbarassing questions (like: Have you ever kissed a boy? etc.) it works with my sts

19 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

WOW!!! So interesting ideas, I was sure you �d come up with creative ideas of practicing tons of grammar. Of course I have ideas to deal with grammar, but this time I have TONS OF and little time.

I �ll use most of the ideas, some I �ll adapt to turn into one and will give you feedback later.

Now, I �m going to prepare the suggested activities (cards, pictues, jeopardy, etc.)

Many, many thanks and have a great weekend!

Zailda

19 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2