Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Possessive case    

Possessive case

hania_arshes
Poland

Possessive case

Hi!

I �m practicing possessive case with my students right now and a problem came out. How do we use possessive case with families ending in s? For example, "The Adams" - do we write:

The Adams �s house.
or
The Adams � house. ?

Do we pronounce it �Adamses �?

Thanks a lot for your help and have a wonderful day!
Hania

20 Feb 2011      

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

Hello,

I was taught that "Adams� house" was correct, but style manuals have changed since then, and while there may still be some holdouts in favor of "Adams� house," I believe most sources would now say "Adams�s house."

The rule, as I�ve heard it, is that the possessive of proper nouns is formed in the same way as common nouns, except for certain names where that would be awkward -e.g., Moses, Jesus, and Xerxes.

the pronunciation of adams�/ adams�s is /adamziz/

20 Feb 2011     

yanogator
United States

Hi
If the family name is Adams, then as a group they are "The Adamses", not "The Adams". The possessive for their (as a group - plural) house is "The Adamses � house".

If Mr. Adams has a car, it is "Mr. Adams �s car".

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

20 Feb 2011