Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP! How to deal with all male students and keep them motivated?    

HELP! How to deal with all male students and keep them motivated?

n-aurelio
Japan

HELP! How to deal with all male students and keep them motivated?

Hello, everybody! I �m new to this forum and I�ve been reading your GREAT opinions about teaching.  I need your help guys! I will be teaching a bunch of all male Japanese high school students next school term and I �m anticipating to face naughty, rude, unmotivated senior highs again.  I �m not telling that there aren´t good students in my class but 10 st out of 40 sounds alarming.  I have done my best to teach them but it seems that English isn�t their cup of tea.  They are more interested in sports and games rather than academics.  These students just want to finish their school and work. Some of them belongs to mechanic course, others belong to electrical course , while others belong to the robotics course.  My motivation is getting low but I need to teach them.  So, I need your help guys!  Would you mind giving me some ideas on how to motivate these type of students? 
Thanks a lot.
n-aurelio

20 Feb 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear n-aurelio,

There was a discussion with a Teacher who has a similar problem to you, (regarding Motivation and so on), here: 

I hope that it helps you.

Les

20 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

With some you might have to go through the back door to teach.  These maybe some.  They sound tech motivated so use a lot of tech English in the beginning and then find out their likes and what they do for fun and use that information to create additional lessons.  Maybe an award system filled with items they are interested in, may cost a little but in the long run might smooth some issues out.  Have any Engineer friends there?

20 Feb 2011     

n-aurelio
Japan

Thank you Les and Roney for your advice.

20 Feb 2011     

vincenza
Italy

HI n-aurelio...
I know just how you feel! I �m busy trying to teach a "recoup" course with a mixed class of 13/14 year olds and it �s a sheer nightmare! Anyway, you didn �t mention where you are teaching but I have discovered that ANYTHING to do with football attracts their attention...so I �ve taught nationalities/ flags and languages using a great powerpoint I found on the net (free template, I �d be happy to send it to you); encouraged dialogue and question forms using an ESL printables activity, likewise present and past simple with Footballer profiles etc. I am at present preparing a preposition worksheet with players on a football field! Not sure if it would work with yours?
Best of luck.

20 Feb 2011     

n-aurelio
Japan

Thanks a lot vincenza for the advice.

20 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

If they are into sports, then that �s what you can use to motivate them. There �s tons of stuff you can do which is sports related.

20 Feb 2011     

chrissmolder
Australia

Just be careful!  One of my sons HATES sport and is so tired of people assuming boys like to do/talk about sport all of the time.

20 Feb 2011