Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I NEED YOUR HELP    

I NEED YOUR HELP

pilarmham
Spain

I NEED YOUR HELP

After my faithful old computer died, I had to buy a new one but since then it is impossible for me to use Word normally: all my images and text boxes move about freely and go wherever they want every time I try to insert a picture or even a shadow! It doesn �t matter whether I use my old Word 2007 or the new microsoft Office Starter 2010 which came with the new PC. Is there anything I can do? Any settings I should change?

Please, help me!

24 Feb 2011      

juliag
Japan

Hi Maria,

Sorry, I don �t really know for sure if it will work, but have you tried putting everything in a drawing frame? When you open a document first "draw" an autoshape, even if you don �t need one. Make sure to place it within the drawing canvas/frame that will come up. Then go to the properties of the drawing frame and make it big enough to fill your whole page. After that work only within the drawing frame. This way I don �t have any problems, but I �m not sure if it �s the solution for your case or not.

Also group everything you can by right clicking and go to group objects. If you are working in the drawing frame it �s very easy to do this as you can just hold your mouse down and move it diagonally. Everything in it �s path will be automatically included in the things to be grouped.

I  have a similiar problem to yours in ppt, when I insert a new picture often all the previous ones change size and position. To make my life eaiser, now I go to the edit facility of each one and jot down their size and position on a piece of paper. Then instead of guessing, all I have to do when they most inconveniently change place and size is to go back to the edit box and retype in those figures. If you can �t sort the problem out I think this could be a good temporary solution.

GOOD LUCK!
Hug
Julia

25 Feb 2011     

Sara26
Brazil

Hi,

Try to open a second page in your document, insert your picture on this page and then drag it to the page you are working. And always put the picture "in front of the text".
Hope it helps!

@ Julia: Hug

25 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

I don �t remember how I did it, but I have chosen that all pictures inserted in the document will be "in front of" position, so I can drag them easily and they don �t change the ws formatting. I think I found this option in the "save" button and then "word options" in the bottom of the saving panel.

Hope it helps.

25 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

The drawing frame should solve your problems.
Go to AutoShapes and choose the last "sroll down / drop down" menu - "Insert a New Drawing Canvas".

Place all pictures INSIDE the canvas and group them. Then insert the texboxes.

If you do not group the pictures, the downloader will see a terrible mess.
To keep the worksheets nice and tidy: use the painting canvas and group all components - pictures and textboxes.

Good luck.

See tutorials section for help...

25 Feb 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Thank you all for your help!

25 Feb 2011