Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Informatic resources teachers!??    

Informatic resources teachers!??

Samantha.esl
Italy

Informatic resources teachers!??

Hello everyone!

I �d like to ask if any of you has ever taught... in simple words... how to use the tools of a computer like word, power point to students as well as using internet resources. I �ve been asked to help at a college where adults are learning english and also how to use the computer for different purposes..

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I don �t know where to start with? Do you know of any website with projects to be carried out in a class of this sort?
I �d love to hear from you!

Thank you very much!

27 Feb 2011      

roneydirt
United States

Start with very basic technology terms to see what the students know and expand from there.  An initial suggestion

27 Feb 2011     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi Rony! Thank you for your suggestion!!! I appreciate it!

27 Feb 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

This may help.

27 Feb 2011     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Giovanni, thank you so much!

27 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

TECHNOLOGY - (INTRODUCTION 6 pages) OLD x NEW Computers - A brief history of the computer with exercises and texts to be read
TECHNOLOGY - (Part 1 of 2 - 6 Pages) OLD x NEW COMPUTERS with exercises and 18 texts to be read
TECHNOLOGY - (Part 2 of 2 - 8 Pages) OLD x NEW COMPUTERS with exercises and 20 texts to be read + 5 Extra Activities

TECHNOLOGY - 25 MOST PROMISSING NEW PRODUCTS FOR 2010 - (5 pages) Reading & writing + 7 extra activities

27 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

There are quite a lot of IT pictionaries, matching exercises on ESLP.
There are also some readings, possible topics for discussion.
IF you are going to give homework ask the students to think about the future, sci-fi topics, how the future comps look like in sci-fi films etc...

27 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

There are are series of books Computer for Idiots, Windows for Idiots etc. (please don �t take offense) that can probably help you out. Ed

27 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Samantha,

I am in the UK.  I teach �English for Speakers of Other Languages � to adult learners from overseas, by using a computer.  Many have never seen a computer previously.  I have taught Information Technology for several years, but I am an English Teacher.

So that you don �t despair and think that you are a failure, I will say that it is not easy, (because there is so much for Students to learn).  However, it is possible.  That is also the opinion of my teaching colleagues.

In the first lesson, the students need to enter a Password in order to open the computer.  With Beginner ESOL Students this frequently takes almost the complete lesson.  Often, I must do it for them.  Tell the Students to WRITE the password in their notebook, or they will FORGET it.  The most common question and answer is: "Teacher, what is my Password?"  "I don �t know!"

I ask the class of 16 Students: "Who can use a computer?" and I raise my hand.  Several Students also raise their hands.

I write the following words on the Whiteboard, (or give them a Worksheet), and say: "Copy this onto the Computer, please!  Put in your Personal Information, please!" and then wait and watch the Students:

"My name is ----- -----".
"My address is: ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----".
"My telephone number is  ----- ----- -----".
"I like  ----- ----- ----- -----".

The Worksheet tries to persuade the Students to use Capital Letters, Small Letters, Digits, Punctuation, and also to use the Tab Key and the Paragraph Key.  It also asks for Personal Information, and asks the Student to express a Preference: "I like bananas!" for example.

Within a few moments, I can tell who can use a computer properly, because the majority can not type.  If you can �t type, how can you write on the computer in English?  Using a Mouse is not using a Computer!

What the majority of Students actually mean is: "I can click a mouse!".

For my first lessons, I teach the students the Keys on the Computer, so that they can enter Password, Capital Letters, Punctuation, etc.  They practise typing.  It is only later that I use Internet material, for Reading, Comprehension, etc.

If a Student casually �surfs the Net �, he/she is learning very little English.  There must be a PURPOSE behind using the Computer.

Here is a good Tip.  In �Word �, teach the Students 2 or 3 Shortcuts, but only ONE each week.  For example:

Hold down Control Key and hit A once = ALL of the Document is highlighted.
Hold down Control Key and hit P once = Print Document
Hold down Control Key and hit S once = Save Document 
Hold down Control Key and hit N once = New Document
Hold down Control Key and hit W once = Close Document
Hold down Control Key and hit Z once = UNDO YOUR LAST ACTION, (go back 1 step).

They will think that you are an expert!

If you need help, just ask me on a Private Message!

Les

27 Feb 2011