Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Class discipline. Why is it so hard to maintain?    

Class discipline. Why is it so hard to maintain?

lexxa
Russian Federation

Class discipline. Why is it so hard to maintain?

Can�t get what I am doing wrong. I have problems with discipline, thought I am a strict teacher but it turned out to be false. The thing is that I am trying to make lessons various, with different activities with different forms of work. But it seems that they are not ready for this or that I am idealizing them. Don�t know how to keep them working but not just talking with a partner.
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

PS. Does anyone know what has happened to englishtips.org?

11 Dec 2008      

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

Hello, lexxxaaaaa))I am worried about ET too(((I was going to post an article(The same problem with teachingbetter - maybe these sites are under the maintenance? Lexxaaa do you work in an ordinary school? How many pupils are on your lesson? I think not less then 20 or so. In this case the only thing you should do is to differentiate your lessons. You should create additional exercises to the noisiest pupils - whether they are good or bad students (of course you should take into account their level). And you will have an opportunity to practice speaking with others. I remember my days at school - sometimes it was impossible to check dialogues oraklly because of several students...Only with additional exercises they stayed calm for a while////Sometimes it is the way out...
P. S. The best forum for Russian-speaking teachers - http://www.efl.ru/forum/ . You can ask there and you�ll receive a qualified answer Wink
Good luck!~!!!!!

11 Dec 2008     

anusca
Italy

I loved this book, it helped out a lot: "getting the buggers to behave" by Sue Cowley. On the front cover you can just read "why do students misbehave? What can I do about it?".
It is not a magic stick but it was a good support to revise my behaviour strategies. She has a website: www.suecowley.co.uk
During my teacher training, the best advice I got was this: "never take it personally". It did not solve discipline problems, but keeping in mind that they don�t hate me, they just hate school, helped me through tough times.
And then I taught in a VERY rough school, the first day I came home in tears and did not want to go back, but things improved by using several techniques. I gave extra homework or a detention for those who misbehaved.
I had small board with two columns, good behaviour and behaviour to be improved, and for each time I was telling someone off I added a stick by the pupil�s name. Three sticks they had to stay in for an additional 5 minutes, and so on. They could erase a stick by taking part in the lesson and showing they were getting on well with the work.
Another one was to give stickers to the best behaviour, but this works only with very young students. Another one was to promise them a game or a funny activity at the end of the lesson (but just if they finished all tasks). Or having copying sheets: I had a series of sheets they will have to copy in silence that I would use when all class was a bit too chatty, they hate this, so just by naming it they will try to improve their behaviour.
It worked with me, but most of all what worked is to gain their confidence and always be patient, respectuful and right to them. So I could say: "I never shouted at you, so why are you shouting at me?" in a very calm tone.
I hope this can help.
Good luck

11 Dec 2008     

lexxa
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot for the answers. I guess I will not take it too personal, I�m upset after every lesson and think that it is me who is responsible for their behaviour. Anyway, it�s just not my class, not my school, not my pupils. Later, when I become a real teacher I will change my attitude!

11 Dec 2008     

matteunsun
United Kingdom

englishtips is back!!!

11 Dec 2008