Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > asian characters    

asian characters

morrissey79
China

asian characters

When I uploaded a worksheet and checked out its preview i was surprised to see that the characters in chinese were all turned to useless squares! I assume that once you download it that the characters are restored? Otherwise it is quite pointless, and no wonder it has no downloads yet. Frowny-face emoticon goes here.

11 Dec 2008      

Logos
Malaysia

I am not surprised at all.  I assume by your flag that you are currently located in China and possibly you bought your computer in China.  When you install Windows you are given several options about which languages you want to also install and when you live in China then obviously English and Chinese were installed. 

Sadly the rest of the world is not so enlightened and other countries install languages such as Greek or Arabic or Lithuanian (not that I have anything against these people - they are just examples) and cannot ever appreciate the beauty and pictorial aspect of Chinese Characters.

So, they appear as icons on computers that have not installed Chinese as one of its languages and it would be quite offputting for folks just to see a load of icons.

I am curious though.  If the icons are replacing the Chinese.  What were you expecting teachers around the world to be able to understand if the letters had come out as Chinese?

11 Dec 2008