Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ideas for fun lessons for 5-6 year-olds    

ideas for fun lessons for 5-6 year-olds

anavillanueva
Japan

you might want to try my so-called "handkerchief game." first, introduce a set of vocabulary (you may want to choose a vocabulary category that you think fits the level of your young students). then, students are put into pairs and are given a handkerchief tied in a knot. the pairs put the handkerchief between them. choose a word from the set of vocabulary that they have just learned. tell the students that the word you�ve chosen is the "keyword". ask the students to put their hands on their head. call out words from the set of vocabulary that they just learned, and ask them to repeat each word after you. when they hear the assigned keyword, they no longer repeat the word but rather they race against each other to grab the handkerchief. the student who grabs the handkerchief first gets a point. you may want to play this game for about 10 to 15 minutes (but all depending on the interest of the students). in my case, i have used this activity everytime i introduce a new set of vocabulary to my students, teenagers and adults. as far as i have observed they enjoy this activity so m uch that they actually request me sometimes to do it prior to proceeding to our lesson proper.

4 Mar 2011     

occurin�
Spain

Thanks anavillaneuva, that �s ideal.... really simple and an effective way of drilling.

Kohaku, you have some really fun activities there, I am particularly grateful for the song ideas, like with Bingo and the Mulberry Bush song.

Thanks to everyone, this was a great help.

4 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2