Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > I need help!    

I need help!

languageleader88
Andorra

I need help!

Dear members, yesterday one of my pupils told me that his mark was not fair. I corrected the exam once more and the mark was Ok. Finally, when I gave him the exam, he said me that it wasn �t fair, that mark was not ok. If he �s ok, he �s got a pass, but I don �t believe so. What should I do?

7 Mar 2011      

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Be assertive!! You are the teacher - not him!!

7 Mar 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

The student is probably right.

7 Mar 2011     

miesies muis
Namibia

Don �t let the student tell you what to do.
 If you are unsure, ask a fellow teacher to mark the paper and see what they say. 
What about scanning the paper and asking some of us to asses it.
 I am sure that there are people who are willing to help you. 

Remember!!! In the business world the customer are always right, luckily, we are not business men. We are teachers!!!

7 Mar 2011     

swissprof
Switzerland

I always tell my students " I am not a carpet handler"

I only change my mark if I have made a mistake in the number of points otherwise it �s an endless discussion with my students ...

You have done your job you don �t have to assume bad results !

7 Mar 2011     

sawer
Turkey

show him a paper of another student who got one of the highest marks and try to explain that if you gave him the mark he wished, then you both would just victimize the ones who really studied and deserved this.
but i wonder why he insists on rececting the results. actually i would like to see his paper.

7 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I can see where you�re coming from, Bruna ; ) 

It may, of course, be that �Rose� is scared of this particular student. It happens. Perhaps languageleader88 could tell us if there�s been some �history� between them which might account for this wobbliness.

Miesies� idea and Arzu�s request are sensible, but I think it may be more practical if LL88 simply told us the nature of the student�s complaint and what exactly was felt to be unfair.

How about it, �Rose�? Help us to help you.

7 Mar 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I had a similar situation on Monday where most of the students did poorly in a test. They did not actually complain but I was not happy and so I gave them a similar test today. The marks were so much better this time. Sometimes tests are just flawed or maybe they do not really test what you have studied at that time.

However if it is just one student and you have checked the work and compared it with the others then the chances are that it is the student who slipped up not the teacher, after all the rest of the class are happy, aren �t they?

Remind the student that tests are not "the be all and end all". They are there to guide us all as to what we need to still cover. Mistakes are absolutely necessary if a student is to progress. I hate the concept of "pass" and/ or "fail".

8 Mar 2011     

Errie
Japan

Remind the student that tests are not "the be all and end all". They are there to guide us all as to what we need to still cover. Mistakes are absolutely necessary if a student is to progress. I hate the concept of "pass" and/ or "fail".

joy2bill....Clap

I always tell this to my students. If you say the word � �test � � here in Japan 9 out of 10 students are in shock. I always tell them to see it as a review and that mistakes are cool because you learn from them.

8 Mar 2011     

languageleader88
Andorra

He always pass all the exams, but know he �s failing a lot. I don �t know what �s the matter. Perhaps he �s in love!! Otherwise, I have told my problem to other  English Teacher in my school and he is agree with me. We think the exam is failed. And... Errie, if your ss don �t need tests, that �s your opinion. I think they need the tests to practise what they have learned and with or without mark it is Ok.

8 Mar 2011     

languageleader88
Andorra

He always pass all the exams, but know he �s failing a lot. I don �t know what �s the matter. Perhaps he �s in love!! Otherwise, I have told my problem to other  English Teacher in my school and he is agree with me. We think the exam is failed. And... Errie, if your ss don �t need tests, that �s your opinion. I think they need the tests to practise what they have learned and with or without mark it is Ok.

8 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >