Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > After the word imagine in which tense should I put the verb?    

After the word imagine in which tense should I put the verb?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

After the word imagine in which tense should I put the verb?

Dear colleagues, I �d like to ask you about the tense in which i should put the verb after the word imagine.
Example: which question is right: imagine you are a very rich man  what will you do?
                                                    imagine you were a very rich man what would ou do?

7 Mar 2011      

hallouma
Algeria

hi,

The second is correct because we use the same tenses as conditional type two to express an unreal present situation or a supposition.

7 Mar 2011     

magneto
Greece

"Imagine you were a very rich man, what would you do?" is correct.

Apparently, the person you �re addressing this question to is not very rich, so you need to use the Unreal Past.
Think of the sentence as a 2nd Conditional sentence (imaginary situation in the present or future), if it makes it clearer: "If you were a very rich man, what would you do?" Imagine pretty much substitutes If in this question.

Hope I �ve helped!

7 Mar 2011     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thanks a lot colleagues.

7 Mar 2011