Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > America and its education problems    

America and its education problems

leelei
Denmark

America and its education problems

Wow, is US ever in a hot mess right abiut now.

10 Mar 2011      

roneydirt
United States

On which part are you refering to?

10 Mar 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

Well. The US is in a hot mess over its education system for many reasons.
1. Lack of financing
2. A one education fits all belief
3. No student accountablity (bad thing)
4. No parent accountability (really bad thing)
5. The blame game (All teachers are to blame for America �s problems therefore look no further)
6. A fake no tolerance policy for violence and teacher abuse by students. 

And various other reasons.

10 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Yeah some of that is true to an extent, but isn �t it true all over the world especially right now?

Let �s add in this as well.  The Conservatives are taking over the schools.  They don �t want to hire individuals that took jobs working in bars.  I worked as a bouncer (bar security), my friends wife was a bartender.  As for those that don �t know most students have to work while going to schools and how many jobs are understanding about internships and able to change schedules because of class time changes?  My internships was extended and I had a lovely school, razor wire around the campus and special windows with what look like a fence wire between the double pane glass.

Interesting to see what others think on this issue.  Would make an interesting thesis.  "Stereotypes of American schools and education."

10 Mar 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

Being true all over the world doesn �t make it less true for the USA.

Also, your post seems to be referring to a college school schedule more so than high school.

I was just referring to high school, middle school, and perhaps elementary.

Listing out possible reasons behind an education system �s downfall actually doesn �t constitute stereotyping.  Stereotyping occurs when you say all of X are Z or exhibit Q.  For example, "All Asians are good at math."  That is a more defined stereotype. 

10 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Been working since middle school.  It was unusual for most to get full time jobs while they are still in middle school, but in my neighborhood it wasn �t that uncommon especially in high school to be working full time even if the law said we couldn �t.  So it was not a shock to have to work during the University.

Christy on stereotyping you did that with your first answer.

10 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Btw, not to say that I don �t agree that the US has problems with it �s education system. All countries do. Especially inner city schools. BUT leelei is a bit of a troll and likes to start up these kind of topics that cause discussions that make people argue unnecessarily over things... I �d ignore him/her unless he/she (leelei) can come up with something more intelligent to say than a one line post with no supporting info.

10 Mar 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

Good advice Zora! =)

10 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

I worry that if the US can strip away the rights of unions, it will spread to other countries

11 Mar 2011