Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Internationally recognised english exam    

Internationally recognised english exam

graace
Venezuela

Internationally recognised english exam

Hello Printables,
I need your expert advice! I have a group of adult advanced students to whom I teach business english. They want to prepare for an exam to have something to show for their studies. I know of toefl and ielts, and having taught preperation for both, I don�t think either would be the most appropriate exam for my students to take because the exams are geared towards testing a student�s ability to study in an english speaking university. My students are middle-aged, in stable office jobs and are unlikely to be going abroad to study at university. Is there another internationally recognised exam that they could take that is more geared to a business context or to more general english, rather than the academic english skills presented in toefl and ielts?

Thankyou in advance for your help!

Graace

11 Mar 2011      

maryse pey�
France

you have got the TOEIC recognised on the professional level.

11 Mar 2011     

Ju Madeiro
Brazil

You may consider looking at the Cambridge Exams such as BULATS. You can find all the info in the link: http://www.bulats.org/Bulats/Bulats.html

11 Mar 2011     

Kris �el guiri�
Spain

Hello,
and good afternoon.

Have a look at this web site it might help you?

Saludos Chris

11 Mar 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I teach the BEC Vantage and BEC Higher courses. (Business English Certificate)

They are through Cambridge and are recognised worldwide. I would suggest one of these depending on the actual level of your students.
BEC Vantage is at B2 Level and BEC Higher is C1.

You can find out more here:

http://www.candidates.cambridgeesol.org/cs/Help_with_exams/Professional_English/BEC_Vantage

11 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I have read several BEC Vantage coursebooks and I agree with cheezels - this is a perfect test for your students.
You may try to copy the old tests from previous years and give them to your students. You will see if they are able to pass...

11 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

IELTS is currently the only test recognised in Australia for immigration and short-stay work visas (up to 4 years)unless you hold citizenship with a specific English speaking country.

Migrants need level 7 for each component.  It used to be much lower but the gov�t is clamping down in English ability.

Migrants coming to Australia to work using short-stay work visas need IELTS level 6 for each component (I think).

It can be general or academic. 

12 Mar 2011