Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How much do your students actually speak English in Class?    

How much do your students actually speak English in Class?

libertybelle
United States

How much do your students actually speak English in Class?

When I began teaching, I did most of the talking, explaining, entertaining, and what not.
Later on I asked the students many questions and got answers from them, but when I got
home, I noticed that I hadn�t heard all the kids. (especially the quiet ones)

Group work is fine, if everyone feels comfortable with each other, but pair work gives the students the opportunity to speak more English than the class discussions do.
That�s why I like pictures, spot the differences, pros and cons and other subjects that get the kids talking. Because in the end, teaching English isn�t only about grammar, but communication.

I love it when my students come home from vacation and tell about kids they�ve met at campsites in Italy or where ever and that they talked together with kids from other countries and understood each other and had a great time.
Isn�t that what it�s all about?
So let�s get those kids out there talking as much as possible!  Thumbs Up

Teaching is  the profession that brings people around the whole word together by giving them tools to communicate. We create understanding and tolerance! 

(why aren�t we appreciated more and paid more???)

happy weekend
L

12 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Liberty,

I agree pair work is definitely part of most of my lessons.  IT is so important for children to try to communicate.  I have such a multitude of activities that involve pair work - and the children really enjoy it.

I think the reason that teachers don�t get paid more is that it is a calling rather than just a profession.  People will teach regardless of conditions or pay and many even do it for free. 

If teachers weren�t so damn dedicated and nice they might get paid more!  <Note self castigating sarcasm>

Wink

12 Dec 2008     

brookee
United States

I love pairwork too, and I make sure some partner-work is done in every class meeting.

However, I do get frustrated at times because students will speak their native language instead of communicating in English during these semi-unmonitored oral activities.  For example, this week we�ve been studying a unit on the family and Monday students made family trees.  I asked them to show their family trees to their partners and to discuss them--kind of like a "who�s who?" in his/her family.  While I was circulating around the room, I overheard a lot of Spanish (the L1):  "Manuela es mi mama.  Ella tiene 55 anos..."  The students were doing the exercise in Spanish!

On Wednesday, in a different class, I asked students to bring in pictures of their family members, with the same directions:  "show your photos to your partner and discuss."  The same problem occurred.  I always kindly remind students that the objective during partner-work is to practice free communication in English.  The students often apologize, but in many instances, the chatter of the room fills with the L1 again.

How do teachers handle problems like this?  (BTW...I teach adults).

12 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Hi Brookee

Even though the situation doesn�t feel "controlled" - I make sure it is! I give them the sheets they work from and I walk around from table to table listening in!!!

A common theme is probably good, instead of a family theme because them they can talk about what they like and don�t like. You can�t very well talk about liking each other�s family!!! *S*
Talking about family often ends in questions and answers.

They need a common ground without it being too personal - such as the local soccer team or music they like or dislike or even foods.

L

12 Dec 2008     

freddie
Canada

Hi Brookee. Of course, I don�t know your students and their motivation for studying english but I have learned over the years that when you find a great topic that students get excited about and want to discuss, they get frustrated because they don�t have the language to say what they want to say and resort to 1st language! So I usually anticipate what they might need and write some "useful language" on the board or on a handout for them so they have a better chance at successful communication. I hope this is useful?

12 Dec 2008     

brookee
United States

Hi Freddie,

I agree with you in that the use of L1 usually comes from the students� frustration.  At the lower levels, when there is an inability to communicate as effectively in English as it is in the L1, sometimes I think they just want to burst!

I should try to be more mindful of your "useful language" idea.  For the above-mentioned activities, the useful language I had as a model for the students was:

Who is he/she?......................He�s my ...(father)...   She�s my ..(mother)..
What�s his/her name?...........His name is ....   Her name is .....
How old is she?.......................He�s ....-years-old.     She�s ....-years-old.

Maybe I just need more!

Brooke

12 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Brookee - thanks for your message.

What I try to do when starting with 2nd graders is to build up a vocabulary as fast as possible.
My kids all have little booklets (too young for dictionaries) and each page has a subject such as

Things in the Classroom
Myself
Clothes
My Family
sports and hobbies
Pets
Foods etc.
I make worksheets to re-enforce the words and also to chain them together into easy sentences.

The more words they learn, the easier it is to help them to speak in class with each other.

There are soooooooooooo many Elementary worksheets here. And don�t forget to give them
black and white worksheets they can color. (and not too many match the picture to the word) The more involved they are, the better they remember!
Libertybelle

12 Dec 2008