Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can we use "label" instead of "tag" when we are talking about that piece of cardboard where the price and other information is included?    

Can we use "label" instead of "tag" when we are talking about that piece of cardboard where the price and other information is included?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Can we use "label" instead of "tag" when we are talking about that piece of cardboard where the price and other information is included?

A student asked me this morning and I answered "no, you can �t" but I am not really sure about it. Can you help me?
Yolanda

15 Mar 2011      

libertybelle
United States

As far as I remember - the paper thing that hangs on clothes with the price on it is called a price tag.  The label is often made of material and is sewn on the inside of the collar in the back.  So you are correct.

15 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks LB
That was a straight explanation of something I have ever been confused

16 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

In this context they are interchangeable: price tag/price label.  But, price tag is more common for what you describe and the common meanings are as LB stated, well at least here downunder.

16 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

For a very general explanation/definition:

A tag is attached only on one of the four sides, and often it is the short side.

A label is attached on more than one side, or the entire surface is attached.

Bruce

16 Mar 2011