Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > everybody / his / their    

everybody / his / their

steph30
France

everybody / his / their

hi !
I �m a bit confused..Would you say " everybody changes his computer every two years." or "everybody changes their computer every two years"
thanks a lot ;)

16 Mar 2011      

Lidia B.
Germany

"Everybody changes his computer every two years."  is correct.

16 Mar 2011     

apayala
Spain

http://aliscot.com/bigdog/agreement_pa.htm

16 Mar 2011     

Lidia B.
Germany

I was sure we must use their in this sentence, but my friend, who comes from England, told me I must us his.
Now I �m a bit confused too.

16 Mar 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Would you care for an article?
SophiaSmile

16 Mar 2011     

Lidia B.
Germany

Sorry for the mistake.... I �d write " I must use  his".

16 Mar 2011     

amyi
France

Hello there, I �m a native speaker and I would say �their �.  I can �t explain why though, I �m afraid!

16 Mar 2011     

Tim Wallace
France

originally "his" would have been the correct usage.  However, since the push for gender-neutral language "their" is the more common usage, at least in the last 20 years.  The problem is that, as you �ve pointed out, "their" is plural but despite that it is now used in preference to "his".  The other option which is possibly more technically correct is "his or her" but that �s so awkward hardly anyone says it.  But you can see that from "his or her", suggesting two options, that the plural form of "their" now makes sense.

16 Mar 2011     

steph30
France

thanks a lot !!!

16 Mar 2011     

bertasdemir
Turkey

I suppose, to avoid sex discrimination we should use "their" instad of his/her

16 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Also, �every� + singular noun is sometimes referred to as a notional plurality, so it would take �their � without a problem. For more in-depth info, check Merriam_Webster �s online version of their Dictionary of English Usage here (p. 901 in the hard copy).

By the way, M-WDEU gives a good example of how insistence on the masculine singular can be "downright silly":  ...everyone will be able to decide for himself whether or not to have an abortion.

16 Mar 2011