Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Am I crazy?    

Am I crazy?

roneydirt
United States

Am I crazy?

After today �s lessons and teacher training I have gotten drunk....  Why?

I have been in several countries now.  I am exploring and viewing different styles and techinques used in these different countries.  I keep being told that I am an average or poor teacher.  Then I go to a teacher training session.  The slap in the face is one of the lessons and they have been different in the different nations oh how to be a good teacher is my own lesson and some have videos as examples.  How would you feel being told you are a poor teacher and then they show you a lesson you wrote and a video of you and saying this is a good teacher.  But they say it isn �t you.  How would you feel?  Now I am not saying I am a great teacher, I do agree I am only an average teacher and wish I could get better.  I am asking if you were showed your own lesson or a video that included you and they tell you it is a different teacher; how would you feel?

20 Mar 2011      

mariannina
Italy

My dear Roney, I �m not that good, too! Maybe I �d feel as you feel now, but without being drunk: drinking doesn �t solve anything, it only gives you a hangoverSmile
Well, the English say "pull your socks up" and remember the way you were when they shoot the video of your lesson! "That Roney" is in you, it �s always been there, so let him out and don �t cry over yourself (I don �t know how to say it in proper English! You see? I �m not that good as a teacher!)
Hugs.
Mariannina

20 Mar 2011     

viccxx
Greece

I �d laugh my socks off if something like this happened...How embarrassing for them, poor training seminar organisers...Insulting a teacher and then having his skills rubbed in their face by their own material...Haha, it �s hilarious! I don �t know why you feel so bad about it, really. They had to say something to save face, and of course nooone realised that WAS you on the video...

Joking aside, don �t let other people �s opinion affect you, dear friend. You know your worth, your students know your worth, we here know your worth!  The only thing that makes me mad in this situation is that the people that organise such training seminars are supposed to help you get better, not diminish your self-esteem so that they will be able to prove that the money you spend are not wasted.

Put the cap back on the bottle and get your chin up!

20 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dearest Roney, sweet Mariannina is absolutely right! As far as you know deep in your heart, what a caring, committed teacher you are, don �t let what others tell you affect you. On the contrary, you should feel proud that they used YOUR lesson and YOUR video to show WHAT A GOOD teacher is. Teachers almost never recieve the credit for our hard work.
All you need to worry about is your students. It is they who need you and need your strenght not to give up! So, as Mariannina said, bring out the Roney in you, and just SHOW THEM!!!

Hugs,

Mar

20 Mar 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Do not take others people�s opinions so seriously.
Look back in History and you will find so many bright people who were criticized or denied their skill more than once. Then, time showed how wrong they had been.

It has always happen and in many fields.
I do not know you as a teacher, but from  what I have read  of you here, you seem to be one of those eager  to know more, to improve yourself s a teacher...so I have no doubt you are far beyond the average.

Do not let yourself down...
You should shine...always!

CHEER UP  Smile

20 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

"You �re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That �s the sign post up ahead, your next stop...The Twilight Zone!" What can u say about people who tell u you �re a poor teacher and then use u as an example of a good teacher? You �re not the one who �s crazy Bill.

20 Mar 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Roney:

If you want to be a good teacher for your students (not for anyone else);

- do it according to your beliefs

- try to learn something new every day

- learn from your students, their needs and reactions

- keep your mind open for new ideas and techniques

- don �t listen to people who are fast to criticize but have nothing to teach from their work or examples

- only believe something is OK after trying it practicing

- relax, don �t be so hard on yourself

I don �t agree with most of things you normally say on the forum, but I do realize that even if we have different ideas and approaches, you �re a dedicated teacher with a strong commitment with your students� learning. And - believe me - I�m frugal when it comes to praise people.

Have a nice day / evening.

Zailda

20 Mar 2011     

eng789
Israel

I �d be pissed off - excuse the language.  Obviously they are too stupid to be qualified to give you a critique - so just forget it.

20 Mar 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I am not surprised you got drunk. I would have done the same even if I didn �t like alcohol as it is the case. It is funny and at the same time incredible. I can imagine myself in the same situation and starting to laugh out loud, believe me.
My best wishes and please don �t worry about something which is a unique anecdote in your life.
Yolanda

20 Mar 2011     

raquelgil
Spain

Just be yourself do not pay attentions to those comments

20 Mar 2011