Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Nurse-is there a male equivalent?    

Nurse-is there a male equivalent?

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Nurse-is there a male equivalent?

Hello, everyone!

I have  a doubt....A student asked me which if there is a male equivalent for nurse.
I said  I would check first and then give the right answer.
Could you help me please?Thanks in advance!

24 Mar 2011      

Mariethe House
France

It is the same. A nurse!Smile

24 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

Mariethe is correct, that "nurse" is used for either sex (as "doctor" is). However, there is a long tradition in the US, that is finally fading away, of saying "male nurse" for a man. I �ve always thought this was stupid, and am very happy to see it disappearing.

Bruce

24 Mar 2011     

abdel09
Morocco

The male equivalent for "nurse" is "male nurse".

24 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with Bruce - same in Aust. We use gender-neutral (non-discriminatory) language that provides for fairness and equality in occupations.

BTW, 15% of nurses are male now.

25 Mar 2011     

Riphly
United States

With few exceptions, �male nurse � isn �t a necessary alteration UNLESS the nurse �s name fails to convey the gender of the nurse. Having worked in hospitals, I have seen there are a few situations in which brawn is an important physical characteristic. When assigning nurses to wards where the use of significantly greater strength is likely to be required, a manager would like to be able to make assignments based on ward-appropriate characteristics. Some �female � nurses have this brute force, aka "One Flew Over The Cuckoo �s Nest",  but on average, it �s still a male characteristic. 

25 Mar 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Yeah, it makes sense, I remember the lines from the movie "Meet the parents" where Creg, a male nurse or just a nurse, is making an excuse for acting weird saying that he �s got a crick on his neck for doing CPR on a 300 pound crack addict that morning.

25 Mar 2011     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

I wonder what a male midwife is called...

25 Mar 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Alexander,

"A Midwife".

Les

25 Mar 2011     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

Les

Yes, it was a joke.

Alex

25 Mar 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your explanations!You certainly helped me!
Have a nice Friday!

25 Mar 2011