Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

izolda_62
Iran

help

Hi all!

would you please help me?!
what is the meaning of "same same"?
thanks alot

25 Mar 2011      

ozlem.yagiz
Turkey

in a dictionary, it has many meanings. but some of them are:
agree to do the same thing
tell the same thing
be the same
I hope this can help

25 Mar 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Izolda 62,

I have never heard British people in the UK use the phrase "Same same".

There is no reference to this phrase in the "Oxford English Dictionary", nor in "Chamber �s Dictionary".

I have heard the phrase used and written by non-native speakers.

Les

25 Mar 2011     

dturner
Canada

Occasionally, in western Canada we use this expression.  Said quickly, so it almost sounds like one word.  The dictionary meanings as azlem.yagiz described previously are correct.

25 Mar 2011     

foxyyyy
Croatia

Hello! Sorry for dropping into this topic, I am new to this site and I don�t know how to open a new topic? One of my materials is deleted from my account (a pp presentation Why teachers drink) and the administrators wrote that it was reported as not following the criteria..I asked the administrator whether it might be because of the title, but nobody responded yet they haven �t put it back? Can somebody explain to me how I can send them a message again? They didn�t explain why... Only that it didn�t follow the criteria..Thaks a lot! 

25 Mar 2011     

essam35
Egypt

these words are commonly used in gulf area by Indians and Arabs to show that things are the same price age  for example if A is 100$ and B is 100$ they say same same

means this is just like that

wish it helps

25 Mar 2011     

Mariethe House
France

foxy
 to start a new topic, go to  the end of the forum page and you will see it there:

Search forum posts

Contents:

By the user:

Date: from     to     

Hot topics

Recent topics

Start new topic***

25 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting, Essam. �Gulf English �: why not?

Is there any possibility, Izolda, that you �re thinking of �same old, same old �, which essentially means �no real change� (plus �a change...).

25 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I have never heard this used, only same old same old as Almaz wrote

26 Mar 2011