Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Congrats to Portuguese teachers!    

Congrats to Portuguese teachers!

helenarechena
Portugal

Congrats to Portuguese teachers!

Despite the severe political & economic crisis, today has been an important day for most Portuguese teachers! Congrats Clap

25 Mar 2011      

mourisca
Portugal

Finally!!

25 Mar 2011     

mariannina
Italy

What happened? Please, let us know!
Ciao.
Mariannina

25 Mar 2011     

tancredo
Portugal

I �ll tell you what happened:

Finally, the  opposition declared that the system of evaluation of the teachers was not adequate and decided to suspend it.
It was a degradating system of evaluation where peers evaluated peers when both are applying for the same vacancies and when quotas are at stake. This is, people with the same interests were evaluating others.   Not all teachers can have access  to  the highest quotas even if they are excellent.

So absurd a system that a teacher from the departament of accountancy could evaluate  a colleague of the department of computing science, as it happened in my school. Absolutely unbelievable!
I would really like to know how teachers are evaluated in other clountries. Is any colleague willing to tell us?

Thank you.

25 Mar 2011     

graca pereira
Portugal

HURRAY!!!!!
I couldn �t be happier!!
:))

25 Mar 2011     

manuelapereira
Portugal

Me neither!
Today is a gr8 day for all of us, Portuguese teachers!

26 Mar 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Today is a day of celebration for Portuguese teachers!We are responsible, hard working teachers but we �ve been humiliated with the current type of evaluation! Teachers are always playing a role on the stage of the classroom and our sts are the people who evaluate us day after day, don �t you agree?

26 Mar 2011     

Hatha
Portugal

WOW!!!!!!
I COULDN �T BE HAPPIER TOO!!!!!!

26 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, there

Are you so happy, why, if I can ask?

Have you a slight idea what is coming next?

I agree, this was a tragedy - I went to Lisbon when there were 100.000 teachers showing they didn �t want this kind of evaluation.

Have you got any news what is the future going to bring us �

I have been a teacher for 37 years now, I DON �T BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY.

We need an evaluation system -we all know, many of us do nothing. Many of us work like slaves.We need to have something to put each one  of us in the right place.

I don �t agree with this system of evaluation, but I have been working four years in a row for this evaluation. I required to be evaluated.

If everyone of us would have stepped ahead four years ago and had required for an evaluation, the whole system would have collapsed.

I �ll go on fighting for an evaluation system, a fair one.

I �m tired of doing other people�s tasks, those who are always absent, those who never prepare a lesson, a meeting, never come to classes, because they are always sick.

I am sick, ill, many, many times, and as far as I can walk and speak I always go to school and I always have my lessons.
i am tired of having to prepare lessons for those lazy guys who are always feeling something or always having some kind of terrible problem.
They don �t come to school, they don �t prepare their lessons, they stay quietly at home. I , I have to go and have my lessons ready, I have to go aND STAY THERE, IN CASE THEY DON �T SHOW UP, I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING READY TO DO WITH THEIR STUDENTS, WHEN THEY STAY SICK AT HOME. I AM NOT PAID ANYTHING MORE FOR THIS EXTRA WORK - THEY ARE PAID THE SAME, EITHER THEY COME OR STAY.

Please, enough is enough - I want a serioius evaluation, I want school to get FREE of these vegetable teachers.

Every/ almost every Friday I have a lesson with students that are not mine - sometime ago, one of the students told me  something BRILLIANT:

Teacher, you almost can evaluate us in Christmas evaluation. 

I thought " well said "

On thursdays, most frequently, or quite frequently, I have THREE lessons for the poor colleague that is always around with some kind of misterious problem / sicknees / illness .
Well, she does �t come to work and I work THREE more hours.

I am fed up.

Let �s hope that a truly evaluating system may show up very , very fast.

Sorry, if I put a stain here, but I am tired and, most of all, I am very unhappy to see that, in my country, teachers don �t sing the same tune, because, each one of us sings the tune we feel more comfortable. This is very disgusting.

I have not seen yet, anyone referring to the most important thing:

Students.
What is going on around is good / better to students? Are they taking / getting more ? Will they learn more easily? Is this worth , what for ?

OK,  sorry, smile , it �s Friday night

Have a happy weekend

Linda

26 Mar 2011     

chrissmolder
Australia

Good luck, Linda.  I really hope things improve. Heart

26 Mar 2011