Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Asking translation in exams    

Asking translation in exams

MapleLeaf
Canada

In our school, the sts were bringing the dictionaries, but it wasn �t allowed to use them. I didn �t mind if it were an abstract difficult word to crack when no gestures, dancing, explanaitons, pictures would be effective. Whatever helps the sts learn the language, right? However, I prefer using only monolingaul dictionaries, since when I get translation from my native lanuage, it doesn �t sink in and I start talking Runglish. Just IMHO. I think it �s also individual.

27 Mar 2011     

bienke
Belgium

I never ask for translations because I believe that a student has to learn to think in English. I ask them to write sentences with given words instead or I give them a situation and they have to react to it. 

27 Mar 2011     

chrissmolder
Australia

Follow your instincts--you know your students.  People may label translation as �traditional � and (therefore not useful ?) now, but in 20 years they �ll be touting it as the next best thing.  Different things work for different students. Try everything! :-)

27 Mar 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

With my students I try to discourage them from translating as I believe that it slows them down and it is extremely difficult to become fluent until you start thinking ( and dreaming) in the target language. I would rather they were very poor with grammar to start with as long as they were speaking comfortably and without a lot of hesitation.. 
I learnt French, Japanese and Latin through translation methods and I regret that although I can read these I cannot speak them.
Too many expression just CANNOT be translated without destroying their very essence!

27 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2