Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Autistic student, aged 11    

Autistic student, aged 11

ignis.fatuus
Poland

Autistic student, aged 11

Hi everyone!
I would ask you about your experience with teaching autistic children, maybe some of you had students suffering from this disease? 
A few weeks ago, a mother of a 11-year old boy asked me to tutor the boy. He suffers from autism and the contact with him is really difficult. He hardly speaks (if he does, he uses simple words or commands, in his mother tongue). I started with teaching him simple words and commands. The boy is quite good in repeating single words, he enjoys listening to songs (he even tries to sing), colouring and matching. I don �t know what to do to encourage him to e.g., name the objects I point to. Last time, we played a simple game, I prepared written names of different objects and his task was to label the objects in the room. He really liked that. 
Do you have any other ideas how to work with such a demanding learner?
Tkanks and have a lovely day
M.

30 Mar 2011      

kodora
Greece

The first thing you should do is to learn something things about autism and the ways children learn and react.http://www.google.gr/#hl=el&biw=1272&bih=736&q=teaching++autistic+children&aq=f&aqi=g3&aql=&oq=teaching++autistic+children&fp=1b0299b950e1994e
These children need special education teachers and in my opinion they face enough difficulties in their everyday lives so why should they learn a foreign language?
Dora

30 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Autistic children offer many challenges. I agree w/kodora that you should do some research. There are many levels of autism. I worked with  a 7 year old whose first language was Spanish who learned Engish by himself by watching cartoons in English. Learning a foreign language is not necessarily beyond the capabilities of some autistic children. It all depends on their functioning level. And like any child they will have different abilities in different areas.

30 Mar 2011     

ronit85
Israel

Hi,
Many  autistic kids DO succeed in learning an additional language depending on their degree of autism. 
Most autistic people prefer reading and writing activities rather than oral activities.
All kinds of board games, memory games, matching games and so forth seem to work well.
Also many autistic people enjoy working with the computer .
I would choose a topic to be learned and have all kinds of games to practise this topic.
I wish you success and joy with your student.
Ronit

30 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hi,
As others said, there are many levels of autism. Each child is unique. You/His mothers should contact his teachers at school and discuss the methods THEY find most effective. They have been teaching him for many years and they have his "papers", so they know his "history".
You also should ask his mother what works with him, she must have noticed what he likes best. Ask her to write a list of successful activites or "tricks" SHE does with her boy.
TV, cartoons, computer games and card/board games work very well, you should try that!

Many autists have extraordinary talent for one kind of activity - drawing, remembering numbers, music etc. You should find out what is HIS talent and build on it.

30 Mar 2011     

m.farvas
Malta

Hi.....autism is not a disease...it �s a condition.

30 Mar 2011     

Turkey

it must be great experience. just try anything and everything you think that might be useful

30 Mar 2011     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

Thank you for all your advice. I �ve obviously done some research but considering the fact that autism is such a complex "condition" (thanks m.farvas, i didn �t realize :) ) , it �s hard to generalize and even his parents are often surprised by what the boy does. 
Anyway, I �ll try as many techniques as possible to find the one that works best
:)

1 Apr 2011